With apologies, a query

  • Doug Weller
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi,

      Is this statement true?
      "The Wyatt Museum is the only archaelogical team ever to be allowed
      by the Israel government to excavate the calvary escarpment"

      And if it is true, what were they thinking?

      Thanks.

      Doug

      --
      Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
        Doug writes;Is this statement true?
        "The Wyatt Museum is the only archaelogical team ever to be allowed
        by the Israel government to excavate the calvary escarpment"

        And if it is true, what were they thinking?

        It's a hoax, Ron Wyatt dug a hole there without any arch staff, conned folks into believing that he found the blood of Jesus, refused to provide proof and then after he passed on, the hole was passed on to his colleague who re-dug it with some type of a 'deal' with the IAA who provided an overseer and it came up empty. His wife I'm told, said that they missed the actual spot. They were supposed to refill the hole and brought over volunteers to do it and when they found out that they weren't going to dig, but refill, they too went 'south' and the gang from WAR, left town with the Garden tomb folks with a big hole that needs to be refilled. Before RW passed on he conned some folks from the media who paid him 10,000 US for an exclusive, only problem when they showed up a few other folks having been promised an exclusive showed up at
        the same time and spot. He then went down into the hole a came out a few minutes later, empty handed. Told them that the 'guy with the long white beard' didn't wish for them to see it, you want your money 'gotta speak with him'.See the book Holy Relics by the Standish brothers, two 7 Dayer's who were fed up with these scams and wrote a book exposing it. Anyway, we now have four calvary's two in Jrsm. one for the Catholics, one for the Protestants, one for SJ and the crowd from BAR in Talpiot and another one found by one

        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        Anthropology/Paleopathology

        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
          Last sentence in the post was cut short and should read as follows:

          Anyway, we now have four calvary's two in Jrsm. one for the Catholics, one for the Protestants, one for SJ and the crowd from BAR in Talpiot and another one found by one
          of the BAR crowd in NC.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
            Hi Joe

            Thanks. I really don't understand why the IAA made a deal. That does
            make it sound as though they might be the only 'team' allowed to dig.

            Doug

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
              Religions have always had, throughout history, more charlatans than messiahs
              and saints. It is the perfect arena for con men to sell things that don't
              exist or to extract money in exchange for "salvation." Archaeology in the
              "Holy Land" is one of those arenas that attracts con men, looters and
              industrial preachers in search of mythological relics so desired by some to
              have tangible evidence for their faith. The most popular quests have been
              the "holy grail, Ark of the Covenant, and Noah's ark Quests by various con
              men claiming to be the "real Indiana Jones" are significantly funded by the
              simply faithful. This mindset must drive the real underfunded professionals
              working in Israel bonkers and even pervades politics and institutions. Even
              as a passionate student, over 60 years, of the ANE, Had I followed
              archaeology as a career...and I wish I had...I would have focussed on Egypt
              or lower Lithuania.

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonio, TX

              > Thanks. I really don't understand why the IAA made a deal. That does
              > make it sound as though they might be the only 'team' allowed to dig.
              >
              > Doug
              >
              > Monday, April 27, 2009, 5:29:04 PM, you wrote:
              >
              >> Doug writes;Is this statement true?
              >> "The Wyatt Museum is the only archaelogical team ever to be allowed
              >> by the Israel government to excavate the calvary escarpment"
              >
              >> And if it is true, what were they thinking?
              >
              >> It's a hoax, Ron Wyatt dug a hole there without any arch staff,
              >> conned folks into believing that he found the blood of Jesus,
              >> refused to provide proof and then after he passed on, the hole was
              >> passed on to his colleague who re-dug it with some type of a 'deal'
              >> with the IAA who provided an overseer and it came up empty. His wife
              >> I'm told, said that they missed the actual spot. They were supposed
              >> to refill the hole and brought over volunteers to do it and when
              >> they found out that they weren't going to dig, but refill, they too
              >> went 'south' and the gang from WAR, left town with the Garden tomb
              >> folks with a big hole that needs to be refilled. Before RW passed on
              >> he conned some folks from the media who paid him 10,000 US for an
              >> exclusive, only problem when they showed up a few other folks having
              >> been promised an exclusive showed up at
              >> the same time and spot. He then went down into the hole a came out
              >> a few minutes later, empty handed. Told them that the 'guy with the
              >> long white beard' didn't wish for them to see it, you want your
              >> money 'gotta speak with him'.See the book Holy Relics by the
              >> Standish brothers, two 7 Dayer's who were fed up with these scams
              >> and wrote a book exposing it. Anyway, we now have four calvary's two
              >> in Jrsm. one for the Catholics, one for the Protestants, one for SJ
              >> and the crowd from BAR in Talpiot and another one found by one
              >
              >> Joe Zias www.joezias.com
              >> Anthropology/Paleopathology
              >
              >> Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
              >> Jerusalem, Israel

            • Joe Zias
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
                contact them, they have a spokesperson and try to get an answer as I left 12 yrs ago.Joe

              • David Hall
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                  On this site you might see a skull shaped hill (Golgotha in Aramaic) NE of the Damascus Gate:

                  http://home.att.net/~bibarch/golgotha.htm

                  Its appearance has changed since the building of the East Jerusalem bus depot.

                  Some have wanted to place the location of Pilate's court in a compound surrounded by the towers of the Jaffa Gate and Herod's palace further south of the Jaffa gate.  By more common tradition the fortress of Antonio was along the "Via Dolerosa" near the temple platform and remains the suggested site of Pontius Pilate's headquarters.

                  It would have been arrogant to claim to have found the blood of Christ in a hole on a hill in Jerusalem when one may not be able to prove what hill was the site of the shedding of the blood, nor able to show samples of visible blood preserved after 2,000 years at any site.

                  Herod's family garden tomb was on a hill west of the Jaffa Gate not to the north of Jerusalem. Was this hill also a probable site of first century burials?

                  There are yet many variables to consider and few finite details.

                  David Q. Hall
                  dqhall59@...

                  Thanks. I really don't understand why the IAA made a deal. That does

                  make it sound as though they might be the only 'team' allowed to dig.

                  Doug

                  > Doug writes;Is this statement true?

                  > "The Wyatt Museum is the only archaelogical team ever to be allowed

                  > by the Israel government to excavate the calvary escarpment"

                  > And if it is true, what were they thinking?

                  > It's a hoax, Ron Wyatt dug a hole there without any arch staff,

                  > conned folks into believing that he found the blood of Jesus,

                  > refused to provide proof and then after he passed on, the hole was

                  > passed on to his colleague who re-dug it with some type of a 'deal'

                  > with the IAA who provided an overseer and it came up empty. His wife

                  > I'm told, said that they missed the actual spot. They were supposed

                  > to refill the hole and brought over volunteers to do it and when

                  > they found out that they weren't going to dig, but refill, they too

                  > went 'south' and the gang from WAR, left town with the Garden tomb

                  > folks with a big hole that needs to be refilled. Before RW passed on

                  > he conned some folks from the media who paid him 10,000 US for an

                  > exclusive, only problem when they showed up a few other folks having

                  > been promised an exclusive showed up at

                  > the same time and spot. He then went down into the hole a came out

                  > a few minutes later, empty handed. Told them that the 'guy with the

                  > long white beard' didn't wish for them to see it, you want your

                  > money 'gotta speak with him'.See the book Holy Relics by the

                  > Standish brothers, two 7 Dayer's who were fed up with these scams

                  > and wrote a book exposing it. Anyway, we now have four calvary's two

                  > in Jrsm. one for the Catholics, one for the Protestants, one for SJ

                  > and the crowd from BAR in Talpiot and another one found by one

                  > Joe Zias www.joezias. com

                  > Anthropology/ Paleopathology

                  > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem

                  > Jerusalem, Israel

                  > --- On Mon, 4/27/09, Doug Weller <dweller@ramtops. co.uk> wrote:

                  > Doug Weller <dweller@ramtops. co.uk>

                  > Subject: [ANE-2] With apologies, a query

                  > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com

                  > Date: Monday, April 27, 2009, 11:40 AM

                  > Hi,
                  > Is this statement true?
                  > "The Wyatt Museum is the only archaelogical team ever to be allowed
                  > by the Israel government to excavate the calvary escarpment"
                  > And if it is true, what were they thinking?
                  > Thanks.

                  > Doug

                  Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology. moderated

                  Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofma at.com

                  Doug's Skeptical Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops co.uk
                • Michael F. Lane
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                    Dear all,

                    I am trying to translate some Sumerian with little more than a copy of
                    Thomsen, a dictionary, and a fair idea of how a split-ergative language
                    should behave.

                    I'm particularly interested in the form and content of a text from Lagash
                    that I think is usually cited as VS 14/1 35, an account of sheep and
                    goats, some of which are destined for a festival called /ezem-Dba-U2/ --
                    if I've got the right end of the stick.

                    It's late, I'm feeling lazy, and I would like an answer soon for some
                    research on writing I'm doing, so I'm hoping that one of you may be able
                    to help me with two things that are currently defying me:

                    1. What is the significance of the formula /x lá y ma$/, where x and y
                    are numerals, the always "1" in the text in question. I'm guessing this
                    has to do with (?) taxation on a cultivated field (/ma$-a$a5-ga-kam/).

                    2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??

                    I would be much obliged.

                    All best,

                    Michael Lane
                    Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

                    --
                    Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
                    Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                      On Thu, 7 May 2009, Michael F. Lane wrote:

                      <snip>
                      > 1. What is the significance of the formula /x lá y ma$/, where x and y
                      > are numerals, the always "1" in the text in question. I'm guessing this
                      > has to do with (?) taxation on a cultivated field (/ma$-a$a5-ga-kam/).

                      The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
                      tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
                      shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges. The expression
                      ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
                      but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
                      III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
                      the bibliography at the end of the article.

                      > 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??

                      Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

                      Bob Whiting
                      whiting@...
                    • Michael F. Lane
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                        Thanks, Bob!

                        Perhaps I shouldn't have given up so soon. I am, however, working to a
                        self-imposed deadline on a bigger project.

                        > The formula x lá y means x minus y. The quantity x will always be an even
                        > tens number (10, 20, 30, etc.) and y will normally be 1 or 2. It's a
                        > shortcut to avoid writing 8 or 9 little vertical wedges.

                        Believe it or not, its being an abbreviation had crossed my mind. I made
                        a mental note to learn more about the rendering of Sumerian numerals and
                        quantities of various commodities.

                        > The expression
                        > ma$ usually refers to interest (Akk. cibtu) and is usually written má$,
                        > but can be written with ma$. The expression má$-a-$a3-ga is common in Ur
                        > III and earlier texts. See CAD Tsade, 158-163 s.v. cibtu A and especially
                        > the bibliography at the end of the article.

                        Thanks for the citation!

                        >> 2. Is /e-ta-è/ a verb form??
                        >
                        > Yes. Basically "(it) has gone out".

                        Ah. I'll work more on that one after coffee.

                        All very best,

                        Michael Lane

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 9, 2009
                          Many thanks to the several persons who replied to question about Sumerian!

                          Bob, the numbers make sense, now that I recognize that udu is synonymous
                          in this context with udu-nita.

                          John, thanks for informing me that e- in e-ta-e3 is equivalent to i3-!

                          I think I've got it all figured out now -- but I'm please to know that so
                          many on this list are willing to share their expertise, and I may turn to
                          your good grace again.

                          All very best,

                          Michael Lane
                          Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County

                          --
                          Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
                          Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
                          Ancient Studies Department
                          Fine Arts Building, Room 452
                          1000 Hilltop Circle
                          Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
                          Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660
                        • Andrés Piquer Otero
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 21, 2010
                            Dear ANErs,

                            I am pleased to forward the program of the incoming symposium After
                            Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts: The Historical Books,
                            to be celebrated at the University of Alcalá (Madrid), and organized
                            by the Universities of Alcalá, Complutense de Madrid and Katholieke
                            Universiteit Leuven May 31st-June 2nd 2010.

                            I send a pasted text version, if any of you is interested, I may
                            forward the .pdf program.

                            Regards, and apologies for cross-postings,

                            Andrés Piquer Otero
                            Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos
                            Facultad de Filología
                            Universidad Complutense de Madrid

                            Symposium After Qumran: Old and New Editions of Biblical Texts
                            The Historical Books
                            Universidad de AlcalЗ,
                            Madrid, May 31st – June 2nd 2010

                            Program
                            May 31st

                            9.00 Presentation

                            Session A: Theological Tendencies – Historical Linguistics –
                            Textual and Literary Criticism (Chair: E. Ulrich)

                            9.15 Emanuel Tov, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, “Theological
                            Tendencies in the Masoretic Text of Samuel ”
                            9.50 Jan Joosten, UniversitО de Strasbourg, “Textual Developments
                            and Historical Linguistics”
                            10.25 Break
                            10.45 Zipora Talshir, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, “Textual
                            Criticism at the Service of Literary Criticism and the Question of an
                            Eclectic Edition of the Hebrew Bible”
                            11.20 Discussion

                            Tour of the University (Colegio Mayor de San Ildefonso)

                            Session B: The Books of Samuel (Chair: F. GarcТa MartТnez)

                            15.00 Eugene Ulrich, University of Notre Dame, “David, the Plague,
                            and the Angel: 2 Samuel 24 Revisited”
                            15.35 Anneli Aejmelaeus, University of Helsinki, “What Rahlfs Could
                            not Know: 1 Samuel 14:4-5 in the Old Greek.”
                            16.10 Break
                            16.30 Philippe Hugo, UniversitО de Fribourg, “Old and New Editions
                            in the Account of the KingЂs Return (2 Sam 19,10-16)”
                            17.05 Kristin de Troyer, University of St. Andrews, “Bathsheba and
                            Nathan: A Closer Look at their Characterizations in MT, Kaige and the
                            Antiochian Text”
                            17.40 Discussion

                            June 1st

                            Session C: The Books of Joshua and Judges (Chair: A. Aejmelaeus)

                            9.00 Florentino GarcТa MartТnez, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven,
                            “Light on the Joshua Books from the Dead Sea Scrolls”
                            9.35 Natalio FernЗndez Marcos, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones
                            CientТficas, Madrid, “The B-text of Judges: Kaige-Revision and
                            beyond”
                            10.10 Break
                            10.40 Hans Ausloos & Benedicte Lemmelijn, Katholieke Universiteit
                            Leuven, “Characterising the LXX Translation of Judges on the Basis of
                            Content-Related Criteria. Confronting the Greek Rendering of Hebrew
                            Absolute Hapax Legomena and Hebrew Aetiologies” 11.15 Discussion

                            Session D: The Books of Kings (Chair: A. Schenker)
                            15.00 Pablo Torijano Morales, “Textual Criticism and the Text-
                            Critical Edition of IV Regnorum. The Case of 17:2-6”
                            15.35 Julio Trebolle Barrera, “Textual Pluralism, Composition and
                            Redaction in the Books of Kings (2 Kgs 17:2-23 MT, LXX, OL)”
                            16.10 AndrОs Piquer Otero, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, “What
                            Text to Edit? The Oxford Hebrew Bible Edition of 2Kgs 17”
                            16.45 Discussion

                            Tour of AlcalЗ

                            June 2nd

                            Session E: The Books of Kings (Chair: E. Tov)
                            9.00 Timothy M. Law, Oxford University, “Do 'the Three' Give Any
                            Insight into the Textual History of the Books of Kings?”
                            9.35 Johan Lust, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, “Solomon's Temple
                            According to 1Kgs 6:1-14 in Hebrew and in Greek”
                            10.10 Break
                            10.40 Adrian Schenker, UniversitО de Fribourg, “What do Scribes, and
                            What do Editors do? The Hebrew Text of the Masoretes, the Old Greek
                            Bible and the Alexandrian Philological Ekdoseis of the 4th and 3d
                            centuries B.C. in Light of 2 Kings 1”
                            11.15 Discussion
                            12.30 Closing Session

                            Symposium organized by:
                            Universidad Complutense de Madrid
                            Universidad de AlcalЗ de Henares
                            Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

                            Organizing Committee:
                            Pablo Torijano Morales, AndrОs Piquer Otero and Julio Trebolle
                            Barrera, Departamento de Estudios Hebreos y Arameos, Universidad
                            Complutense de Madrid
                            Hans Ausloos, BenОdicte Lemmelijn and Florentino GarcТa MartТnez,
                            Center for Septuagint Studies and Textual Criticism, Katholieke
                            Universiteit Leuven

                            Sessions held at Room 3M
                            Rectorado, Colegio de San Ildefonso
                            Plaza de San Diego s/n