Re: [ANE-2] Persian period times of messages

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 6, 2009
      On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Chuck Jones wrote:
      > I think ALL of Chapter 9 of Briant's book:  "Territories, Communication, and Trade" in PTD's
      > translation (pp. 357-387 and Research Notes pp. 927-930) or "Espaces, communications et échange" in
      > the original French (pp. 369-398, and Notes Documentaires pp. 952-956)  is important basic
      > background for the question(s) being posed in this thread.

      The section in the chapter "Royal Mail and Royal Couriers" can be read
      online at:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=lxQ9W6F1oSYC&pg=PA369

      I also found interesting and perhaps relevant the following section:
      "Communication among the Ancients" in Communications: An International
      History of the
      Formative Years, by R. W. Burns. I am just unsure of the competence
      of the author in
      historiography. For example, he has no problem quoting scholarship
      from the 19th century
      (such as on page 9).
      The chapter starts at: http://books.google.com/books?id=7eUUy8-VvwoC&pg=PA1
      Nevertheless, it seems to be a good reference for source material on
      the subject. I note
      that on page 5 he mentions how the Persians preferred the reliability
      of couriers to beacons,
      on page 9 he mentions Lachish 6, and on page 10, the limitation of
      visual beacons in that
      the message must be prearranged.
      page 5: http://books.google.com/books?id=7eUUy8-VvwoC&pg=PA5
      page 9: http://books.google.com/books?id=7eUUy8-VvwoC&pg=PA9