Re: [ANE-2] Re: Reading the Qumran ink bromine

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
      From: <goranson@...>
      To: <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 5:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Re: Reading the Qumran ink bromine

      >I welcome further measurements and experiments with ink. If it is true
      > that the Dead Sea is the world's largest reservoir of bromine, then this
      > presents a remarkable research opportunity, as the Rabin et al. article
      > (DSD 16
      > [2009] 97-106) quite properly and scientifically recognized.
      >
      > As for Trudy's suggestion--made after I sent my last post--that, possibly,
      > plants burned for soot could have contributed significant (quite high
      > amount)
      > bromime to the ink, though I doubt it, I would welcome tests and
      > measurements.
      > And, by the way, I would ask, what plants and in what area might have
      > such quite high bromine remaining after burning and where would they get
      > such
      > putative high bromine? Possibly...Dead Sea water? Small trace amounts
      > don't
      > suffice here. I am not a botanist, but I will guess that Dead Sea water
      > has
      > more bromine in it than any living plant outside of a Dr. Seuss book.
      >
      > As for David's apparent suggestion that 1QH was penned, oh, anywhere as
      > long as not Qumran, and brought there whereupon the ink became an amazing
      > wick
      > sucking up bromine, markedly more so than the skin, though such was not
      > the
      > case with calcium, and though 1QH was in a cave above Qumran, not in a
      > damper
      > marl cave below Qumran, and was, reportedly, found in a ceramic jar, a jar
      > sealed with a lid, and perhaps within a linen wrapper, well, I wouldn't
      > bet on
      > it. But David has. Show me measurements that support that desperate
      > scenario.
      >
      > As for differences between the caves above and below Kh. Qumran,
      > consider, e.g. Hanan Eshel's article in the current Revue de Qumran 23.4
      > 92
      > (2008) 529-31, "A Note on 11QPsalms d Fragment 1, and why that piece of
      > marl,
      > with a reverse imprint of writing on it probably didn't come from Cave 11,
      > but
      > from a marl cave.
      >
      > There's more to be said about scribe's water containers and distinguishing
      > oat
      > gall and iron components and inkwells and scribal practices and reed and
      > date
      > fibre pens, and questions about the article that have yet gone unremarked,
      > but,
      > for now, back to David's demanded scenario of a Herod-built dam.
      >
      > If Herod had built a dam (though others could have), why isn't Kh. Qumran
      > characteristic of Herod's architectural constructions? If Herod had
      > established
      > Qumran as a major supply and manufacturing for export hub, why are there
      > no good
> [...]

      I think this is an area that requires a lot of investigation before reaching
      conclusions. I am sure that ink and dye makers in ancient Palestine knew
      the difference between fresh and Dead Sea waters for the manufacture of inks
      and probably the flame retardation of parchments soakes in Dead Sea water.
      Can we be sure that there were not specific recipes for gall inks utilizing
      Dead Sea water? I seem to recall that there was a significant inductry for
      Dead Sea water shipped around the Middle East. What is the earliest use of
      bromine containing salt water for flame retardation with fabrics, leathers,
      etc?

      Jack