Re: Unexamined sites (TUBA)

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      It was a surprise to find Early Bronze Age inscriptions using the West
      Semitic syllabary at Umm el-Marra (Tuba, E of Aleppo and Alalakh, NE
      of Ebla and Ugarit, and a long way from Gubla/Byblos); dated c. 2300;
      a script that is apparently based on Old Kingdom hieratic signs . The
      little amulets may reflect Egyptian beliefs about the afterlife:
      NUSHI`U 'saved'; NIKAWANA 'he is established' (cp Egp 'justified')

      http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/2007/03/oldest-west-semitic-inscriptions-these.html

      Brian Colless
      Massey University, NZ