Conference: Animals in Ancient Egypt (Swansea)

  • Robert Whiting
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 6:00 AM
      From Jack Sasson via the agade list:

      >From
      <http://www.swan.ac.uk/egypt/infosheetgen/Conference2006.htm>========

      The Exploited and Adored
      Animals in Ancient Egypt
      A Conference Open To All Organised by:
      Egypt Centre
      9th-10th December 2006
      Venue: University of Wales Swansea

      The conference seeks to explore the role of the non-human animal in
      Egypt from ancient times up to and including the Islamic Period.
      Themes include: defining and categorising the animal; the
      relationship between people and other animals; the influence of
      animals upon Egyptian society and religion; modern constructions
      of animals in ancient Egypt. We invite papers concerning both real
      and mythical beasts.

      The conference will be open to all and aims to encourage research
      into the role of animals in ancient Egypt as well as to increase
      public awareness of issues.

      Abstracts for papers of around 30 minutes for possible inclusion
      are sought by 1st May 2006. Please send abstracts (preferably in
      Word format) of no more than 300 words to: Conference Organisers,
      Egypt Centre, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea,
      SA2 8PP or (<c.a.graves-brown@...>). Late offers may be
      considered at organisers' discretion.

      Further details as to registration, etc. will be posted on our web
      site at <www.swansea.ac.uk/egypt> in due course. However, if you
      have any enquiries please feel free to contact us.

      List of local bed and breakfast accommodation:
      <http://www.swan.ac.uk/accommodation/ghl.html>