Unexamined sites

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
      I was wondering if members of this group had particular sites or localities they wish archaeologists would examine? I mean, sites that are possibly avaiable for archeological digs. The Temple Mount, for example, is not available at this time.

      For example, I wish an interesting tell near the West Bank town of Awarta would be examined. I believe it might be useful for greater understanding of this region in the Iron 2 age. The site controlled some interesting Iron Age routes south-west to the Sharon Plain, north-west to the region south of Samaria, south-east to the Jordan and the Ammon/Moab region, and north-south to Shechem and Jerusalem.

      Just a bit of wishful fancy.

      Frank Clancy
    • eliot braun
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
        There are so many sites in so many places that remain unexamined, each known or unknown, and especially dear to some researcher who has a particular interest. Since they represent an irreplaceable, shrinking source of information on our past (which belongs to all humanity) it is best to try and save those sites which are in danger of destruction from (over)development, looting, natural causes, whatever. Countries are doing more than ever, but they can't keep up with the loss. At best only some tiny percentage of what is destroyed can be salvaged and documented and an even tinier bit is sort of "rescued".

        Remember, excavation and all the other operations associated with it, preservation of sites, and artifacts, research, publication, etc. are expensive and time consuming.

        Eliot Braun, Ph D
        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
          Frank,
          Find the money to support such a dig -- and I'm sure you will then be able to find an archaeologist who is willing to go dig the site.

          On 2nd thought - give the money to one of the bona fide excavations currently being conducted in the Levant (such as, Tell es-Safi/Gath :-) - www.dig-gath.org) and we will find important finds for the study of the ancient Levant.

          Aren Maeir
          gath.wordpress.com
        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
            There are many significant sites all over the "Near East" i.e. Western
            Asian, awaiting exploration/excavation/basic surveying. The northern
            portions of the Levant should yield substantial information about
            connections between Egypt and Anatolia in the 2nd & 1st mill BCE.

            Trudy Kawami

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
              I would personally love to see some of the big cakes (they look like that) on the Aleppo plain, between Aleppo and Ebla.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
                Might be interesting to date the earliest strata of the Al Uula oasis in the Northern Arabian desert.  It was also known as Hegra.  By some theories it was the Iron Age II Dedan.  By another theory it was the realm of the legendary Sheba, queen of the south.  The Taima oasis may have been occupied as early as  the 8th century B.C. according to an Assyrian inscription.  Exact dates of occuption for the Taima oasis in Northern Arabia are also unknown.  The area was closed to tourists the last time I checked with the Saudi embassy.

                David Q. Hall

              • Brian Colless
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
                  It was a surprise to find Early Bronze Age inscriptions using the West
                  Semitic syllabary at Umm el-Marra (Tuba, E of Aleppo and Alalakh, NE
                  of Ebla and Ugarit, and a long way from Gubla/Byblos); dated c. 2300;
                  a script that is apparently based on Old Kingdom hieratic signs . The
                  little amulets may reflect Egyptian beliefs about the afterlife:
                  NUSHI`U 'saved'; NIKAWANA 'he is established' (cp Egp 'justified')

                  http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com/2007/03/oldest-west-semitic-inscriptions-these.html

                  Brian Colless
                  Massey University, NZ