masters, disciples, and prayers

  • Graham Hagens
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2009
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Trudy Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

      > (I would ask how India was different, but that topic is outside this
      > list.)
      >
      > Trudy Kawami

      This is true.

      However the list homepage informs us that the ANE-2 region of interest reaches from the Indus to the Nile.

      It would therefore include the easternmost satrapies of the Achaemenian empire, the cultural hub of Gandhara, as well as the Indo-Greek kingdoms which endured until the end of the first millennium BCE.

      Although these territories do not feature in ANE-2 exchanges very frequently, their multi-cultural significance is of profound importance.

      The well maintained trade routes of the Achaemenian empire allowed adventurers such as Democritus to mingle with 'naked Indian sages' in addition to giving him the freedom to visit Egypt and Babylon in the course of his many travels. The simultaneous rise of Indian and Greek philosophy - both of which may take credit for many of the worldviews we hold today - may be directly traced to such exchanges.

      ANE-2 will be the weaker if such topics are ignored or brushed aside

      Graham Hagens