Re: Parapola's Assyrian King is a Sacred Tree ?

  • Doug Petrovich
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
      Walter,

      > form of dates. It may even be that the Bible's imagery of comparing mighty
      > kings like Pharaoh and the Assyrians to towering Cedar trees is recalling
      > Mesopotamian imagery ?

      Would this actually be necessary? We must not forget that in biblical times
      there were towering cedars immediately to Israel's north, in Lebanon, an
      area controlled by the Phoenicians, with whom the Israelites traded for this
      precious wood, anyway.

      Therefore, their own local imagery--actual as it was--would be far more
      appropriate than suggesting an unnecessary link much further "around the
      horn" of the fertile crescent.

      Doug Petrovich
      Novosibirsk, Siberia