RE: [ANE-2] Re: masters, disciples, and prayers

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2009
      Alas, Zoroaster (Zarathustra, Zardusht) is not a good parallel, as we
      know neither the century in which he lived, nor the belief system(s) of
      his contemporaries. So it is hard to judge how his ideas were received -
      or even how they differed from the common belief. Most of the copies of
      Zoroastrian texts that have come down to us date from the period after
      the coming of Islam. Hence they could well be casting "history" as a
      paradigm of their present situation. Jeffrey was trying to get beyond
      subjective "tradition." Note that he asks for documentation, a
      different thing altogether.

      (I would ask how India was different, but that topic is outside this
      list.)

      Trudy Kawami

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2009
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Trudy Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

        > (I would ask how India was different, but that topic is outside this
        > list.)
        >
        > Trudy Kawami

        This is true.

        However the list homepage informs us that the ANE-2 region of interest reaches from the Indus to the Nile.

        It would therefore include the easternmost satrapies of the Achaemenian empire, the cultural hub of Gandhara, as well as the Indo-Greek kingdoms which endured until the end of the first millennium BCE.

        Although these territories do not feature in ANE-2 exchanges very frequently, their multi-cultural significance is of profound importance.

        The well maintained trade routes of the Achaemenian empire allowed adventurers such as Democritus to mingle with 'naked Indian sages' in addition to giving him the freedom to visit Egypt and Babylon in the course of his many travels. The simultaneous rise of Indian and Greek philosophy - both of which may take credit for many of the worldviews we hold today - may be directly traced to such exchanges.

        ANE-2 will be the weaker if such topics are ignored or brushed aside

        Graham Hagens