Re: parchment (and leather??) Re: [ANE-2] Re: some queries on DSS Ink article

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2009
      It was a bit uncourteous of you to throw out the abbreviation of a fairly obscure and perhaps sectarian journal without explanation. I do not have access to an archeological library, and when I can next get to the NYPL, which won't be until after the AOS, it takes at least 20 minutes for any individual volume to be fetched; there is no browsing.

      In the meanwhile, if you have answers to the questions -- how many sheep? evidence of parchment-making and of tanning? -- you might share them. Perhaps you could mention the author and title of the `Atiqot article.
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
        Peter, If you'd have asked nicely I would have told you! As it is I'll try to send you a pdf of the article privately to save you having to go to th library. BTW I also have to travel to get to my nearest academic library which is why I asked for more info on the ink article in the first place.

        David Stacey

      • Brian Yare
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
          After a little research, and several dead ends mostly in Brazil, I've come
          up with

          "Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society".

          While Peter may have been a little blunt, it was unhelpful of David not to
          answer the question.

          I have not yet located any university or public library in the United
          Kingdom that subscribes to this bulletin: it would indeed appear to be
          'obscure'.

          Brian Yare

        • dastacey62
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
            Having just attempted to send you a pdf I find your email address is blocked. If you care to send it to me privately a pdf will be yours.
            BTW what is a 'sectarian' journal?

            David Stacey

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
              See http://www.copac.ac.uk/wzgw?id=0903041bf525750961434abeabdab914f843de&f=u&rsn=1&rn=1 for the names of the seven academic libraries in the UK and Ireland that carry BAIAS

              David Stacey

              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yare" <groups@...> wrote:

              > After a little research, and several dead ends mostly in Brazil, I've come
              > up with
              >
              > "Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society".
              >
              > While Peter may have been a little blunt, it was unhelpful of David not to
              > answer the question.
              >
              > I have not yet located any university or public library in the United
              > Kingdom that subscribes to this bulletin: it would indeed appear to be
              > 'obscure'.
              >
              > Brian Yare
            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
                On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Brian Yare wrote:

                > After a little research, and several dead ends mostly in Brazil, I've come
                > up with
                >
                > "Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society".

                There are several lists of bibliographical abbreviations in the links area
                of the ANE-2 main page
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/links/ANE_Abbreviations_001152881565/).
                Admittedly, I didn't find BAIAS until my fourth try (in the University of
                Chicago's catalog of their serial collection), but we do try to provide
                reference materials of interest to scholars of the ANE on the site.

                > While Peter may have been a little blunt, it was unhelpful of David not to
                > answer the question.

                For Peter, this was extremely polite.

                > I have not yet located any university or public library in the United
                > Kingdom that subscribes to this bulletin: it would indeed appear to be
                > 'obscure'.

                If you are in the UK and aren't familar with COPAC (http://copac.ac.uk/),
                you will never learn any younger. It is an invaluable bibliographic
                search tool:

                Title details: Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society.
                Frequency: Annual
                Published: [London] : The Society, 1982-
                Physical desc.: v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
                Identifier: ISSN: 0266-2442
                Notes: Description based on : v. 22.
                Online version of print publication.
                Subject: Excavations (Archaeology) -- Israel.
                Excavations (Archaeology) -- Periodicals.
                Archaeology -- Israel -- Periodicals.
                Israel -- Antiquities -- Periodicals.
                Ancient Israeli antiquities -- Archaeology -- Serials
                Ancient Israeli antiquities -- Excavation of remains
                Other names: Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society (London, England)
                Genre: Periodical
                Language: English

                For holdings information select a library name below.

                Location details:

                * Bristol
                * British Library
                * Cambridge
                * National Library of Scotland
                * National Library of Wales / Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
                * Oxford
                * Trinity College Dublin
                * UCL (University College London)
                * University of London - ULRLS

                http://copac.ac.uk/wzgw?id=0903048013c7d93dc8d066dc1e35c50cb27074&f=u&rsn=2&rn=1

                You really shouldn't give up so easily.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...
              • dastacey62
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Which is four more than hold 'Dead Sea Discoveries' which must be uber obscure!!

                  David Stacey

                  > Title details: Bulletin of the Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society.
                  > Frequency: Annual
                  > Published: [London] : The Society, 1982-
                  > Physical desc.: v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
                  > Identifier: ISSN: 0266-2442
                  > Notes: Description based on : v. 22.
                  > Online version of print publication.
                  > Subject: Excavations (Archaeology) -- Israel.
                  > Excavations (Archaeology) -- Periodicals.
                  > Archaeology -- Israel -- Periodicals.
                  > Israel -- Antiquities -- Periodicals.
                  > Ancient Israeli antiquities -- Archaeology -- Serials
                  > Ancient Israeli antiquities -- Excavation of remains
                  > Other names: Anglo-Israel Archaeological Society (London, England)
                  > Genre: Periodical
                  > Language: English
                  >
                  > For holdings information select a library name below.
                  >
                  > Location details:
                  >
                  > * Bristol
                  > * British Library
                  > * Cambridge
                  > * National Library of Scotland
                  > * National Library of Wales / Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
                  > * Oxford
                  > * Trinity College Dublin
                  > * UCL (University College London)
                  > * University of London - ULRLS
                  >
                  > http://copac.ac.uk/wzgw?id=0903048013c7d93dc8d066dc1e35c50cb27074&f=u&rsn=2&rn=1
                  >
                  > You really shouldn't give up so easily.
                  >
                  > Bob Whiting
                  > whiting@...

                • Brian Yare
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
                    Bob

                    I note that it took you four tries to locate the abbreviation. That is about
                    my experience. But I repeat, we should not have had to do this research. Or
                    maybe the original poster did not want us to find it?

                    Yes, my first point of call was Copac, once I had worked out the
                    abbreviation. I cut and paste the name of the bulletin into the title box
                    and drew a blank. It appears that the location I cut it from (an old ANE or
                    ANE2 post, I can not remember which) must have had a typo.

                    But having now, thanks to your help, located the list of source libraries, I
                    see that this publication receives only a narrow academic subscription. The
                    four major academic libraries (all members of Copac) that I visit on a
                    regular basis are not represented. I used to go to Bristol, but their stock
                    (or Egyptology references, my interest) is very small (IMHO).

                    Assuming that the bulletin is provided free to the 6 major legal
                    repositories, only UCL, ULRLS and Bristol are actually paying!

                    Now that I know where to find it, I'll look out for it.

                    Brian Yare

                  • Brian Yare
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
                      David

                      Thanks.

                      I finally got there. 6 of these are 'Legal Repositories', so that only
                      leaves Bristol and the University of London (x2) as subscribers.

                      I must have been hindered by a typo because Copac came up with nothing when
                      I first searched. Memory suggests that I probably pasted Israeli rather than
                      Israel, but I can't remember exactly where I was had cut from.

                      Anyway, that is sorted now.

                      Brian Yare
                    • Brian Yare
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4, 2009
                        David

                        'Dead Sea Discoveries'? This is available on JSTOR, and Copac lists it in 2
                        records, which appear to overlap. Not all the Legal Repositories are
                        included.

                        It is available at

                        Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, British Library, Cambridge, Durham,
                        Edinburgh, Glasgow, King's College London, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle,
                        Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Andrews, University of
                        London - ULRLS, Warwick and Wellcome Library.

                        I think you may have shot yourself in the foot with this one. :-)

                        Brian Yare

                      • dastacey62
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 5, 2009
                          Brian, I may indeed. I am not a librarian nor do I claim infallibillity (can't even spell the word properly!). Nonetheless I seem to remember when I was writing my PhD thesis that I had to demonstrate that I had picked up on every thing ever written on the subject in whatever language - which unfortunately included a couple in Japanese!!!

                          More seriously if you or anyone else on the list really want to address some of the questions I have raised, originally following Stephen's note on some very debatable conclusions reached in an article on DSS ink, and would like to read my thoughts on background topics in the obscure BAIAS so that I don't have to keep rehashing them I'll send them a pdf. One has already winged its way to Peter Daniels. I don't have a pdf of the final copy of my article in DSD but do have one of an early uncorrected proof.

                          As far as the ink is concerned I'd really really really like to know why any scribe at QUmran would use water from the Dead Sea to mix up his ink when he had gallons of fresh water on his doorstep. And also whether anyone has left a control scroll in a cave near Qumran for 2000 years to see if it just might get salts crystalise on it.

                          David Stacey

                          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yare" <groups@...> wrote:

                          > David
                          >
                          > 'Dead Sea Discoveries'? This is available on JSTOR, and Copac lists it in 2
                          > records, which appear to overlap. Not all the Legal Repositories are
                          > included.
                          >
                          > It is available at
                          >
                          > Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, British Library, Cambridge, Durham,
                          > Edinburgh, Glasgow, King's College London, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle,
                          > Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Andrews, University of
                          > London - ULRLS, Warwick and Wellcome Library.
                          >
                          > I think you may have shot yourself in the foot with this one. :-)
                          >
                          > Brian Yare

                        • eliot braun
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 5, 2009
                            Bullet of the Anglo Israel Archaeological Society
                            Its been around for at least 2 decades.

                            Eliot Braun, Ph D
                            PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
                            Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

                            Brian, I may indeed. I am not a librarian nor do I claim infallibillity (can't even spell the word properly!). Nonetheless I seem to remember when I was writing my PhD thesis that I had to demonstrate that I had picked up on every thing ever written on the subject in whatever language - which unfortunately included a couple in Japanese!!!

                            More seriously if you or anyone else on the list really want to address some of the questions I have raised, originally following Stephen's note on some very debatable conclusions reached in an article on DSS ink, and would like to read my thoughts on background topics in the obscure BAIAS so that I don't have to keep rehashing them I'll send them a pdf. One has already winged its way to Peter Daniels. I don't have a pdf of the final copy of my article in DSD but do have one of an early uncorrected proof.

                            As far as the ink is concerned I'd really really really like to know why any scribe at QUmran would use water from the Dead Sea to mix up his ink when he had gallons of fresh water on his doorstep. And also whether anyone has left a control scroll in a cave near Qumran for 2000 years to see if it just might get salts crystalise on it.

                            David Stacey

                            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, "Brian Yare" <groups@...> wrote:

                            > David
                            >
                            > 'Dead Sea Discoveries' ? This is available on JSTOR, and Copac lists it in 2
                            > records, which appear to overlap. Not all the Legal Repositories are
                            > included.
                            >
                            > It is available at
                            >
                            > Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, British Library, Cambridge, Durham,
                            > Edinburgh, Glasgow, King's College London, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle,
                            > Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Andrews, University of
                            > London - ULRLS, Warwick and Wellcome Library.
                            >
                            > I think you may have shot yourself in the foot with this one. :-)
                            >
                            > Brian Yare

                          • dastacey62
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 6, 2009
                              Indeed it has. It might also be worthwhile to consider the current Editorial Advisory Board: Magen Broshi, Rupert Chapman, Shimon Dar, Claudine Dauphin, Yosef Garfinkle, Martin Goodman, Ram Gophna, Amos Kloner, Tess Rajak, Fanny Vitto, G. J. Wightman, and last, but not least, Eliot Braun! A very 'obscure' list of scholars!!

                              David Stacey