Re: [ANE-2] ICOM Report on Museums in Gaza - February 2009

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3 11:57 AM
      On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Chuck Jones wrote:
      > "February 2009
      >
      > Museums in Gaza
      >
      > The Gaza Strip is an area full of relics of past Mediterranean cultures: Egyptian, Punic,
      > Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and Islamic. Archaeological sites and museums are the region’s strong
      > contribution to world heritage; three sites are listed as potential World Heritage Sites.
      > In order to promote this project, Mr. Khoudary built and established – as a makeshift – his new
      > private museum El Mat’haf (280 sq m, opened in August 2008 in Sudaniyah, in the vicinity of the
      > future museum).
      >
      > At the beginning of the Gaza war, the Geneva Museum communicated the coordinates of the museum El
      > Mat’haf and the collection depot of the future Gaza Archaeological Museum to the Israeli Prime
      > Minister and to the Israeli Ministry of Defence. It was either the deliberate respect for cultural
      > heritage or a great luck that the Israeli tanks stopped just 200 meters before the museum (and the
      > nearby collection depot) – and heavy damage could be avoided.

      An article about the Gaza museum dated August 2008, primarily an
      interview with Mr. Khoudary but also
      including comments from Trudy Dothan, is available here (Hebrew):

      http://www.nrg.co.il/online/5/ART1/778/968.html

      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Joe Zias
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 1:48 PM
        Y. Sapir writes that 'It was either the deliberate respect for cultural
        > heritage or a great luck that the Israeli tanks stopped just 200 meters before the museum (and the
        > nearby collection depot) – and heavy damage could be avoided.'

        From past personal experience it was the former that saved the museum. In the first Lebanon war, Syrian soldiers broke into the national museum in Beirut and then fled leaving behind their fatigues, in which soldiers found quite a number of small objects which had been looted. Soldiers then handed them over to the IAA. Professor Gideon Furster and I contacted colleagues in Lebanon and returned all the looted materials to the gov't. This occurred during war time as we felt that it was in everyones interest that items such of this nature must be returned immed. so as to preserve the cultural heritage of the area and its citizens whom we unfortunately were at war with.

        Joe

        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        Anthropology/Paleopathology

        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Chuck Jones wrote:
        > "February 2009
        >
        > Museums in Gaza
        >
        > The Gaza Strip is an area full of relics of past Mediterranean cultures:
        Egyptian, Punic,
        > Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and Islamic. Archaeological sites and
        museums are the region’s strong
        > contribution to world heritage; three sites are listed as potential World
        Heritage Sites.
        > In order to promote this project, Mr. Khoudary built and established –
        as a makeshift – his new
        > private museum El Mat’haf (280 sq m, opened in August 2008 in Sudaniyah,
        in the vicinity of the
        > future museum).
        >
        > At the beginning of the Gaza war, the Geneva Museum communicated the
        coordinates of the museum El
        > Mat’haf and the collection depot of the future Gaza Archaeological
        Museum to the Israeli Prime
        > Minister and to the Israeli Ministry of Defence. It was either the
        deliberate respect for cultural
        > heritage or a great luck that the Israeli tanks stopped just 200 meters
        before the museum (and the
        > nearby collection depot) – and heavy damage could be avoided.

        An article about the Gaza museum dated August 2008, primarily an
        interview with Mr. Khoudary but also
        including comments from Trudy Dothan, is available here (Hebrew):

        http://www.nrg.co.il/online/5/ART1/778/968.html

        Yitzhak Sapir
      • Brian Yare
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 3:27 PM
          My home city, Worcester, UK, is discussing 'twinning' with Gaza. If anything comes of this then our museums will also 'twin'.

          An interesting possibility

          Brian Yare