Re: ink from a Dead Sea Scroll made near the Dead Sea

  • theodc25
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
      Quite close to Qumran, is the Buqe'ah Valley which has substantial
      evidence of intensive agricultural production including dams,
      terraces, and walls built for pools. The major sites in valley are
      Khirbet Abu Tabaq, Khirbet es-Samrah, and Khirbet el-Maqari partially
      excavated by Cross and Milik, and further research was done by Stager.
      The sites, terracing, and dams are all dated around the 8th/7th
      century BCE based on lmlk jars and other pottery found at the sites.

      It has been suggested that much of this area was reused in the 3rd
      cent BCE-1st cent CE, because of the close proximity of Hyrcania, a
      Roman road running through the valley to Qumran, and some late
      Hellenistic/early Roman pottery that was found at the forts. Also I
      thought there were dams around Masada?

      Owen Chesnut
      Ph.D. Candidate
      Andrews University

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "dastacey62" <DAVID.STACEY63@...> wrote:

      > Well Joe, that's odd - there are no major dams at Masada or Jericho
      > where you say they are necessary, and in fact the only two major
      > Second Temple dams are in Caesarea and Jerusalem where you say they
      > are unnecessary... curioser and curiouser
      >
      > David Stacey
      >
      > UK
      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Zias" <joezias@> wrote:
      > >
      > > David Stacey on the subject of dams in antiquity writes "If it was
      > all so
      > > easy why didn't every Tom, Dick or Harry build dams all over the
      > country?"
      > > The answer is simple, in the desert areas where rain fall is
      > minimal as in
      > > Masada, Qumran and Jericho, dams are necessary to collect runoff
      > from higher
      > > elevations. In areas where there is adequate seasonal rainfall or
      > springs,
      > > such as Jerusalem, Caesarea, Beit Shean ect, they are unnecessary.
      > >

      > > Joe Zias

    • dastacey62
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
        Most of these dams are, are they not, on a fairly minor scale and
        would not have had to withstand the sort of terrific force present
        in flash floods as they thunder down Nahal Qumran. The power of such
        flash floods is an awesome sight. The dam at Qumran would have been 4
        or 5 metres high and would have needed to have walls at least 3m
        thick at the base. Yet it probably needed some sort of sluice system
        to, if necessary, relieve the pressure of the initial torrent. This
        required considerable hydrological knowledge and was not your average
        agricultural installation.

        David Stacey
        -
        -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "theodc25" <chesnut@...> wrote:

        > Quite close to Qumran, is the Buqe'ah Valley which has substantial
        > evidence of intensive agricultural production including dams,
        > terraces, and walls built for pools. The major sites in valley are
        > Khirbet Abu Tabaq, Khirbet es-Samrah, and Khirbet el-Maqari
        partially
        > excavated by Cross and Milik, and further research was done by
        Stager.
        > The sites, terracing, and dams are all dated around the 8th/7th
        > century BCE based on lmlk jars and other pottery found at the
        sites.

        > It has been suggested that much of this area was reused in the 3rd
        > cent BCE-1st cent CE, because of the close proximity of Hyrcania, a
        > Roman road running through the valley to Qumran, and some late
        > Hellenistic/early Roman pottery that was found at the forts. Also I
        > thought there were dams around Masada?
        >
        > Owen Chesnut
        > Ph.D. Candidate
        > Andrews University
        >

        > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "dastacey62" <DAVID.STACEY63@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well Joe, that's odd - there are no major dams at Masada or
        Jericho
        > > where you say they are necessary, and in fact the only two major
        > > Second Temple dams are in Caesarea and Jerusalem where you say
        they
        > > are unnecessary... curioser and curiouser
        > >
        > > David Stacey
        > >
        > > UK
        > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Zias" <joezias@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > David Stacey on the subject of dams in antiquity writes "If it
        was
        > > all so
        > > > easy why didn't every Tom, Dick or Harry build dams all over
        the
        > > country?"
        > > > The answer is simple, in the desert areas where rain fall is
        > > minimal as in
        > > > Masada, Qumran and Jericho, dams are necessary to collect
        runoff
        > > from higher
        > > > elevations. In areas where there is adequate seasonal rainfall
        or
        > > springs,
        > > > such as Jerusalem, Caesarea, Beit Shean ect, they are
        unnecessary.

        > > > Joe Zias

      • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
          Good Morning

          Barrage dams feeding sluices and watering fields were a bit of a "doodle" by even 1200 BC in Yemen. If you look around Saba and Qataban evidence for them is all over the place in remnants and in agricultural fields built up by the silt in the runoff produced during floods. If you want a good example see the Marib Dam, a truly massive dam capable of taking on an incredible deluge and a dam that was in use for over a millennium. It is hard to believe that the knowledge did not reach the other end of the trade route.

          Jeffrey A. Blakely
          Madison, WI

          > Most of these dams are, are they not, on a fairly minor scale and
          > would not have had to withstand the sort of terrific force present
          > in flash floods as they thunder down Nahal Qumran. The power of such
          >
          > flash floods is an awesome sight. The dam at Qumran would have been 4
          >
          > or 5 metres high and would have needed to have walls at least 3m
          > thick at the base. Yet it probably needed some sort of sluice system
          >
          > to, if necessary, relieve the pressure of the initial torrent. This
          > required considerable hydrological knowledge and was not your average
          >
          > agricultural installation.
          >
          > David Stacey
          > -
          > -- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "theodc25" <chesnut@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Quite close to Qumran, is the Buqe'ah Valley which has substantial
          > > evidence of intensive agricultural production including dams,
          > > terraces, and walls built for pools. The major sites in valley are
          > > Khirbet Abu Tabaq, Khirbet es-Samrah, and Khirbet el-Maqari
          > partially
          > > excavated by Cross and Milik, and further research was done by
          > Stager.
          > > The sites, terracing, and dams are all dated around the 8th/7th
          > > century BCE based on lmlk jars and other pottery found at the
          > sites.
          > >
          > > It has been suggested that much of this area was reused in the 3rd
          > > cent BCE-1st cent CE, because of the close proximity of Hyrcania, a
          > > Roman road running through the valley to Qumran, and some late
          > > Hellenistic/early Roman pottery that was found at the forts. Also
          > > thought there were dams around Masada?
          > >
          > > Owen Chesnut
          > > Ph.D. Candidate
          > > Andrews University
          > >

          > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "dastacey62" <DAVID.STACEY63@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Well Joe, that's odd - there are no major dams at Masada or
          > Jericho
          > > > where you say they are necessary, and in fact the only two major
          >
          > > > Second Temple dams are in Caesarea and Jerusalem where you say
          > they
          > > > are unnecessary... curioser and curiouser
          > > >
          > > > David Stacey
          > > >
          > > > UK

          > was
          > > > all so
          > the
          > > > country?"
          > > > minimal as in
          > runoff
          > > > from higher
          >
          > or
          > > > springs,
          > unnecessary.

        • dastacey62
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
            Of course barrage dams existed in Judea. The point that I'm making,
            if it needs spelling out, is that all of the major dams requiring
            considerable know-how and huge resources were instigated by the state
            or the temple. The construction of the dam at Qumran and of the rock-
            cut channel required the sort of labour and financial resources,
            technical expertise and determination demonstrated by Herod in other
            of his building projects and should be associated with his expansion
            of the settlement in 31 BCE. The recent excavations of Magen and
            Peleg would appear to confirm this date.

            David Stacey
            UK

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, JEFFREY A BLAKELY <jblakely@...> wrote:

            > Good Morning
            >
            > Barrage dams feeding sluices and watering fields were a bit of
            a "doodle" by even 1200 BC in Yemen. If you look around Saba and
            Qataban evidence for them is all over the place in remnants and in
            agricultural fields built up by the silt in the runoff produced
            during floods. If you want a good example see the Marib Dam, a truly
            massive dam capable of taking on an incredible deluge and a dam that
            was in use for over a millennium. It is hard to believe that the
            knowledge did not reach the other end of the trade route.

            > Jeffrey A. Blakely
            > Madison, WI

          • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
              Well, I guess the point I wish to make is that a truly major water project, such as the aqueduct system at Caesarea or the Marib dam, certainly would be state supported. One the other hand a small barrage dam and channel on a small wadi like at Qumran hardly rises to that level no matter how much force may be coming down the channel on occasion. The technology had been around for a long time.

              Jeff Blakely
              Madison, Wisconsin

              > Of course barrage dams existed in Judea. The point that I'm making,
              > if it needs spelling out, is that all of the major dams requiring
              > considerable know-how and huge resources were instigated by the state
              >
              > or the temple. The construction of the dam at Qumran and of the rock-
              > cut channel required the sort of labour and financial resources,
              > technical expertise and determination demonstrated by Herod in other
              >
              > of his building projects and should be associated with his expansion
              >
              > of the settlement in 31 BCE. The recent excavations of Magen and
              > Peleg would appear to confirm this date.
              >
              > David Stacey
              > UK
              >
              > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, JEFFREY A BLAKELY <jblakely@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Good Morning
              > >
              > > Barrage dams feeding sluices and watering fields were a bit of
              > a "doodle" by even 1200 BC in Yemen. If you look around Saba and
              > Qataban evidence for them is all over the place in remnants and in
              > agricultural fields built up by the silt in the runoff produced
              > during floods. If you want a good example see the Marib Dam, a truly
              >
              > massive dam capable of taking on an incredible deluge and a dam that
              >
              > was in use for over a millennium. It is hard to believe that the
              > knowledge did not reach the other end of the trade route.
              > >
              > > Jeffrey A. Blakely
              > > Madison, WI
            • dastacey62
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                In June 2007 I visited the site of the dam a couple of weeks after a particularly ferocious flood had cleaned out the whole basin down to bedrock (and killed two abseilers lower down the wadi). The entrance to the aqueduct some 4 or 5 metres higher was completely inaccessible, not only to an old fart like myself, but also to a young and agile PhD student I was showing around. How exactly the dam was built is hard to reconstruct. Presumably the stones were quarried in the basin itself but there was little room for a ramp to get them to the upper courses of the dam - I know I wouldn't have liked to have been one of the labourers involved - perhaps as it's apparently so insignificant a construction project you have ideas as to how it was built?

                You accept that Caesarea was state supported. Owen Chesnut has mentioned barrages around Hyrcania and Masada, both building projects of Herod, who, incidentally, liked Jericho so much that he built himself three different palaces there, increasing the availablilty of water to them by extending the Hasmonean Na'aran aqueduct to take in the waters of Ein el-Auja some 14 kms to the north which is the same distance as Qumran is to the south. It would seem that Qumran was just a part of his Jericho estate and inter-connected with his other building projects. And archaeologically the date of the dam, which most logically was built together with the so-called- 'main' aqueduct system, can be no earlier than 31 BCE (see my article in DSD 14:2 (2007) - that's 'Dead Sea Discoveries' for those who find these acronyms obscure). This dating will probably be confirmed when the results of Magen and Peleg's excavations (even the preliminary publication was not available to me at the time I was writing the DSD article)are finally published (see Magen and Peleg 2007 p.8 amd fig 11).

                Which takes us back all the way to the start of this correspondence when I asked how a scroll dated by some as early as the second century BCE could have been written in Qumran at a time when there was no possibility of year round occupation?

                David Stacey

                --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, JEFFREY A BLAKELY <jblakely@...> wrote:

                > Well, I guess the point I wish to make is that a truly major water project, such as the aqueduct system at Caesarea or the Marib dam, certainly would be state supported. One the other hand a small barrage dam and channel on a small wadi like at Qumran hardly rises to that level no matter how much force may be coming down the channel on occasion. The technology had been around for a long time.
                >
                > Jeff Blakely
                > Madison, Wisconsin

              • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Clearly there is nothing at the Qumran dam site that identifies Herod as the builder, or maybe better the conscriptor since I doubt he personally built it. One can certainly reconstruct a Herodian construction view from the extant evidence, just as one can reconstruct a sectarian construction view from that same evidence. We may differ on which is more likely. I will certainly agree with David, however, "I know I wouldn't have liked to have been one of the labourers involved." Its hot down there. On the method of construction, I would guess slowly and carefully during a dry season lest it be washed away. Beyond that we have no evidence.

                  Best wishes,
                  Jeffrey A. Blakely
                  Madison, WI