998RE: [ANE-2] Parpola & the Assyrian Tree

  • Victor Hurowitz
    Apr 4 7:17 AM
      Dear Thomas,
      Just to clarify things, may I point out that although Parpola's first
      article is called "The Assyrian Tree of Life", he states at the end of the
      first paragraph "many scholars today prefer the more neutral term "sacred
      tree" when referring to the Mesopotamian Tree". (JNES 52 p. 161). In the
      rest of his article he refers to the Tree (capital T) or the Assyrian, or
      the Mesopotamian Tree. In his article about Gilgamesh's name he speaks of
      the "sacred tree". In any case, Parpola seems to steer clear of the "Tree of
      Life" which, of course, is a biblical concept designating one of the two
      trees in the Garden of Eden and serving metaphorically in some passages in
      Proverbs, and should not be transferred outside the Bible and its
      derivatives without specific warrant to do so.
      I doubt that Parpola would claim that someone who ate from the
      (Mesopotamian/Assyrian [Sacred]) Tree would live forever or be rejuvenated
      or become young in his or her old age.

      Victor Hurowitz
      Dept. of Bible, Archaeology and ANE Studies
      Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
      Beer-Sheva, Israel