9881Narmer (never mind boomerangs)

  • David Lorton
    Feb 11, 2009
      Some years ago, I published a brief communication on the problem of the first king of Dynasty 1 in _Varia Aegyptiaca_:

      “Why ‘Menes’?” VA 3 (1987) 33-38

      What I was trying to deal with in the article was the problem of what caused Egyptians of the New Kingdom (when we first encounter the name Men (Greek Menes) to look back and pick a particular monarch as the first king of the first historical dynasty. In the course of the discussion, I sided with Emery in picking Aha rather than Narmer as the king more likely to have becoe the legendary Menes, and against Uphill, who was willing to view Narmer as the founder of Memphis, on a basis of a few portable objects that could have been brought to the north at any time, and not necessarily in connection with the founding of that city.

      Later, however, German scholars excavating at Abydos discovered Archaic Period pots (or potsherds, I don't recollect which) inscribed with a list of kings, beginning with Narmer. From this evidence, it can be inferred that at that early date, Egyptians regarded Narmer as the founder of their royal line.

      This new evidence obviously played havoc with the thrust of my argument.

      In any event, there's no point trying to comment on this matter without taking into account the results of the German excavations.

      David Lorton