9875Re: [ANE-2] Boomerangs in Ancient Egypt & Narmer

  • Brian Colless
    Feb 11, 2009
      On 10/02/2009, at 5:31 AM, Trudy Kawami wrote:
      > Are you talking about the Horus on the obverse? He holds a tether to
      > the
      > nose of the Delta rebel.

      You are right, Trudy.
      I have always seen it as cord, until this idea was put into my head
      yesterday.

      Once again I have been prompted to put my own little piece about the
      palette on the internet, in the ancient Egypt section of

      http://collesseum.googlepages.com/

      It ends thus (with an idea that came into my head about MENES):

      Was Narmer the King Menes who (according to the priests of Memphis, as
      reported by the Greek historian Herodotos, 5th C. B.C.E.) was the
      first king of Egypt and the founder of Memphis.

      Here is a thought I have had: If we read the chisel sign in the name
      "catfish chisel" (nar mer) not as mer but as menh (menkh) "chisel",
      and note that the Greeks used to omit h (kh) in such foreign (Hebrew)
      names as Menahem (Greek Menaem) and Nehemyah (Greek Neemia), then
      Greek Menes could be Egyptian Menkh, and this palette could be the
      record of the founding of the First Dynasty of United Egypt.

      However, it should be noted that there is another candidate with a
      claim to be the legendary King Menes. An ivory label found at Naqada
      (near Thebes) has a sign men beside the name 'Aha, thought to be the
      successor of Narmer. No tomb has been found for King Narmer at Saqqara
      (the royal burial place near Memphis) ; the oldest-known tomb there
      belongs to 'Aha. Was Narmer only the forerunner of 'Aha, and 'Aha the
      builder of Memphis and the founder of the First Dynasty (around 3000
      B.C.E.)?

      http://collesseum.googlepages.com/narmer

      Your other question:
      Is the throw-stick ever shown in a "combat" rather than hunting scene
      (usually the fowling in the marshes motif)?

      I don't know (but apparently not), and I think the Australian
      boomerang was used for hunting animals for food, and not for fighting.

      Brian Colless
      Massey U, NZ
      > Just curious.
      >
      > Trudy Kawami

      (Kawami: Polynesian? Japanese? Hawaiian-Japanese?)