9850Boomerangs in ANE

  • Brian Colless
    Feb 6, 2009
      It is time I responded (favourably) to this.

      Whenever I encounter boomerang-deniers in connection with the origin
      of the letter G (gaml 'throwstick'; not camel, as taught in Hebew
      school!) my gentle retort is, as I said in my earlier trumpet vs bugle
      message (31 Jan 2009):

      "I remember seeing Tutankhamon's missiles on show in the Cairo Museum,
      with examples of Australian boomerangs for comparison; the difference
      was that his are made of ivory."

      I also have a big picture book of *Wonders of Tutankhamun* (Crown,
      1978). It turns out to be the same source that David has named:

      > A throw stick was found in King Tut's tomb:
      > http://www.touregypt.net/museum/boomerangpage.htm

      Actually, there was one ivory boomerang in his tomb, and some wooden
      That source says that throw sticks and boomerangs were found in the
      Annex of the tomb.
      What is the difference?
      Not all Australian boomerangs are 'returning' missiles, though
      'boomerang' implies recoiling in English usage.

      When thinking about the gamlu (Krummholz, Bumerang, von Soden; bent
      stick, throwing-stick, Concise D) my mind plays with g-m-l as
      connoting completion and repayment, hence the returning aspect. Is
      this a silly idea that needs to be cleaned out of my head?

      Do the bentness and curving notions come from the boomerang and are
      then applied to the camel? And the sickle (maggalu)?

      I note that the throw-stick was used in all periods in ancient Egypt.
      And its hieroglyph ( T 14) is a determinative for 'throw-stick' from
      a root meaning 'throw') is also a club (Gardiner says) as det. of
      foreign peoples.

      What goes round comes round. Have you seen the French movie where a
      businessman is playing with his boomerangs en plein air? He launches
      one, then answers his phone, and .......

      Brian Colless
      Massey University, NZ