9471Re: SV: SV: SV: Fw: Re: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Tardy response to a minor comment

  • Frank Polak
    Dec 4, 2008
      Dear Emanuel and Niels Peter,
      In my view we have to distinguish between a symbolic world view (not
      only pentecostical,
      but also, for instance, marxistic) and a 'mythic mind.' After all,
      did Malinowski
      not show that people with a strong belief in magic and in spirits
      were discussing matters
      of procreation as rationally as he did (albeit not in a scientific,
      biological way)? And were they not superior
      ship engineers (at least for their state of metallurgy)? It is not
      the mind (and not even the
      episteme, I would say; Foucault mixed it up), but the world view. You
      might say that that is a >mind set<,
      but it is not the personal mind making things up, but rather the
      intellectual tradition, as far as its contents have not been
      subjected to systematic scientific criticism).
      A notion like >La Pensee Sauvage< also seems difficult to defend.
      Totemism, for instance (the 'mentality' of which is not too
      different from that of football supporting), can easily be analyzed
      in terms of ethno-symbolism.
      One of the difficult (OK, I'll not to exaggerate, maybe significant)
      stages in my growing up was the recognition
      that the Marxian notion of a revolution that would set man free, is
      hardly more than the ideal of classical Judaism
      >LeTaQQeN (wLam BeMaLKuT $aDDaY<, (to repair the world in the
      Kingdom of God). But the Marxian notion
      claims 'scientific' status, using 'science' (at least at times) in a
      sense that would rather fit the magic way of thought.
      May I say that to my mind it takes inteliigence, determination and
      much knowledge to maintain yourself in desert (something i used to
      have some
      acquaintance with) or jungle without modern technology and logistic
      support?
      Best regards,
      Frank Polak