9138Re: [ANE-2] Qeiyafa inscription 'ALT`S

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Nov 2, 2008
      At 08:09 AM 11/2/2008, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:
      >Yitzhaq,
      >In the versions of the Ten Commandments I know, the negative is Lo and not
      >Al.

      There's an "al taas" in the Abraham/Isaac story somewhere and several
      in later books [don't have refs at hand]

      >Victor Hurowitz
      >BGU
      >

      >On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
      >
      > > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Brian Colless wrote:
      > > Yitzhak Sapir said:
      > > >What you read as a B, Haggai Misgav reads a Lamed whose top has
      > > been cut off. This makes for the aleph-lamed, taw-ayin of אל תעש
      > > ("Don't
      > > do.") <
      > >
      > > On 'A L T ` ´S as "Do not do"
      > > What have we here? A copy of the Ten Commandments? Or a new version?
      > > "Do not make [a pesel]"
      >
      >Dear Brian,
      >
      >I did not mean to second guess Haggai Misgav. He is the one who has the
      >qualifications to read this inscription as well as the necessary photographs,
      >and at this point, apparently, this is not even sufficient for trying
      >to read more
      >than a handful of words. Those letters there on the second line may be the
      >ones Haggai Misgav reads as "judge" -- I don't know where the word "judge"
      >appears. I feel that the Sin on the first line has only two < marks, whereas
      >the ones I identified as Mem on the second line have three or four (and the
      >second has them going >). I did this because I realized that the words
      >"Don't do" are legible on the photo, and also because someone asked how
      >the Proto-Canaanite forms are substantiated in the photo. Again, I did not
      >mean to second-guess Haggai Misgav in his reading and if he, with all the
      >information he has available is not willing to go much further, we shouldn't
      >either.
      >
      >Yitzhak Sapir

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
      ---
      http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
      http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/