9131Re: [ANE-2] Qeiyafa inscription 'ALT`S

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Nov 1, 2008
      On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Brian Colless wrote:
      > Yitzhak Sapir said:
      > >What you read as a B, Haggai Misgav reads a Lamed whose top has
      > been cut off. This makes for the aleph-lamed, taw-ayin of אל תעש
      > ("Don't
      > do.") <
      > On 'A L T ` ´S as "Do not do"
      > What have we here? A copy of the Ten Commandments? Or a new version?
      > "Do not make [a pesel]"

      Dear Brian,

      I did not mean to second guess Haggai Misgav. He is the one who has the
      qualifications to read this inscription as well as the necessary photographs,
      and at this point, apparently, this is not even sufficient for trying
      to read more
      than a handful of words. Those letters there on the second line may be the
      ones Haggai Misgav reads as "judge" -- I don't know where the word "judge"
      appears. I feel that the Sin on the first line has only two < marks, whereas
      the ones I identified as Mem on the second line have three or four (and the
      second has them going >). I did this because I realized that the words
      "Don't do" are legible on the photo, and also because someone asked how
      the Proto-Canaanite forms are substantiated in the photo. Again, I did not
      mean to second-guess Haggai Misgav in his reading and if he, with all the
      information he has available is not willing to go much further, we shouldn't

      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic