      From: Stern, Richard H. <RSTERN@...>
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Re: High Priest sarcophagus/Caiphas
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 2:18 PM

      In blaming this on the wives (harking back to the women who reviled Jeremiah in Egypt about how well off they were until his lot made them stop paying respect to Asherah), you should take into account that many or most of these wives were themselves the daughters of kohanim, given the custom of making sure of the propriety of wife lineage by marrying the daughter of a kohen (or at least a levite). Doesn't that make it more improbable that priests' wives were backsliders? As for the Greek bone gatherer, why should he care?

      Best regards.

      Richard H. Stern

      rstern@computer. org rstern@khhte. com

      Washington, DC 20036

      http://docs. law.gwu.edu/ facweb/claw/ rhs1.htm

      NOTICE: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately via reply e-mail, and then destroy all instances of this communication. Thank you.