      From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon@...>
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Re: High Priest sarcophagus
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 9:38 AM

      Hi George:

      Yes, we do have Caiphas' ossuary and the inscription on it is YHWSF BR QYF)

      and not the Greek form of his name (I think Joe Zias examined the skeletal

      remains). That is why I was wondering if xxbn may be part of the semitized

      name of one of the many Greek names used for the HPs. I can't speak for

      Robert and I believe he is a member here, but I am sure he meant that the BN

      as a suffix could be a possibility that requires closer examination of the

      damaged margin between the broken edge of the sarc lid and the BN that

      appears to show up on the photos. I see what looks like an incised mark

      over and slightly to the right of the Beyt.

      I am sure that HPs like Theophilos, i.e., had Hebrew/Aramaic names in

      addition to their Greek names (even though this HPs name on his

      grandaughter' s ossuary is transliterated Greek to Hebrew). Hopefully in

      this ongoing excavation they will find other shards of this sarcophagus.

      The more I study the inscription from a paleographic standpoint, the more I

      think it is late Hasmonean... .but this is part of an amateur's fun with new

      epigraphic discoveries.

      Jack