8585Re: SV: [ANE-2] Re: Was Dan "in ships", or "complacent"?

  • Yitzhak Sapir
    Jun 30, 2008
      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
      > Good George, Frank will have to clarify but he might refer to the reconstruction of
      > the last lines of the Mesha inscription by André Lemaire. I do not have Lemaire's
      > article here (wasn't it published with some triumphal note in BAR?). Lemaie claimed
      > that he based his interpretation on a plaster print of the Mesha inscription before it
      > was blown to pieces by the local Beduins.
      >
      > Generally, Lemaire has found little support, and COS does not have anything
      > (could be later than that part of COS).

      The newer version of the Handbook of Inscriptions ed. by Ahituv
      incorporates that
      reading. In the same article, Lemaire claimed to have read hyt
      instead of ryt. That
      isn't incorporated in the Ahituv handbook, as far as I remember.

      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Show all 106 messages in this topic