8091Re: Tiberias Towers

  • dastacey62
    Apr 5 12:38 AM
      The towers you mention where part of a free-standing monumental Roman
      arch, situated some (unknown) distance south of the Roman city. The
      towers were incorporated into the Byzantine city walls and continued
      to exist, getting increasingly decrepit, until the 11th century.
      The 'grenades' were found in a 9th century context in the eastern
      tower. I would suggest that whilst you're in Israel you buy (or
      peruse) two final reports on excavations in Tiberias, 'Excavations at
      Tiberias, 1973-1974; The Early Islamic Period' by David Stacey (IAA
      Reports 21 - where you can see a picture of the 'grenades' on p. 38)
      and
      'Excavations at Tiberias, 1989-1994' by Yizhar Hirschfeld (IAA
      Reports 22) which will give you considerable info on ancient Tiberias
      as revealed by excavation.

      David Stacey

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, David Hall <dqhall59@...> wrote:

      > This morning I walked up the trail from near the Tiberias Holiday
      Inn towards the Roman-Byzantine theater and looked down. There about
      one hundred yards north of the Holiday Inn entrance road was a pit
      containing two towers and some rooms adjoining them. I walked to the
      pit and made observations without entering the pit. The two basalt
      towers were flanked on the inside with two round capitals on square
      bases abutting the towers. The space between them was about the
      width of a road. These towers were not the same as the 8th century
      tower remains in modern Tiberias uphill from the marina shore area.
      The stone carving styles in the two towers complex south of the Roman
      cardo area appeared similar to styles seen in the excavated cardo-
      marketplace area to the north that is from the Roman-Byzantine era.
      This gate with the two towers may be the southern gate of Roman-
      Byzantine Tiberias. My Oxford guidebook recoded that towers existed
      in the Roman era Tiberias, but city
      > walls were not added until Byzantine times. Remains of the Roman
      Tiberias were found as far north as the sewage treatment plant below
      Rachel's tomb. I estimate that the ruins may extend for more than a
      kilometer.

      > I do not believe you can context the coconut shaped containers
      found in the 8th century tower digs with the with the recent
      announcement about these towers that were discovered years ago and
      recently uncovered again.