8085Tiberias Towers

  • David Hall
    Apr 4, 2008
      This morning I walked up the trail from near the Tiberias Holiday Inn towards the Roman-Byzantine theater and looked down. There about one hundred yards north of the Holiday Inn entrance road was a pit containing two towers and some rooms adjoining them. I walked to the pit and made observations without entering the pit. The two basalt towers were flanked on the inside with two round capitals on square bases abutting the towers. The space between them was about the width of a road. These towers were not the same as the 8th century tower remains in modern Tiberias uphill from the marina shore area. The stone carving styles in the two towers complex south of the Roman cardo area appeared similar to styles seen in the excavated cardo-marketplace area to the north that is from the Roman-Byzantine era. This gate with the two towers may be the southern gate of Roman-Byzantine Tiberias. My Oxford guidebook recoded that towers existed in the Roman era Tiberias, but city
      walls were not added until Byzantine times. Remains of the Roman Tiberias were found as far north as the sewage treatment plant below Rachel's tomb. I estimate that the ruins may extend for more than a kilometer.

      I do not believe you can context the coconut shaped containers found in the 8th century tower digs with the with the recent announcement about these towers that were discovered years ago and recently uncovered again.

      David Q. Hall