8054Re: [ANE-2] Cuneiform clay tablet translated for the first time

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Mar 31 11:45 PM
      same press release with pic at

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/kofels_asteroid/print.html

      but before you rush, it claims that [my edit] "The "Planisphere"
      tablet (see pic) - inscribed around 700 BC ... has now been revealed
      to describe an asteroid impact which in 3123 BC hit Ko"fels, Austria, ..."

      YCMMV [your credulity mileage may vary]

      At 06:10 PM 3/31/2008, Clark Whelton wrote:

      >Cuneiform Clay Tablet Translated for the First Time
      >
      >University of Bristol Press Release issued 31 March 2008
      >
      >"A cuneiform clay tablet that has puzzled scholars for over 150 years has
      >been translated for the first time. The tablet is now known to be a
      >contemporary Sumerian observation of an asteroid impact at Köfels, Austria
      >and is published in a new book, A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels' Impact
      >Event.
      >
      >"The giant landslide centred at Köfels in Austria is 500m thick and five
      >kilometres in diameter and has long been a mystery since geologists first
      >looked at it in the 19th century. The conclusion drawn by research in the
      >middle 20th century was that it must be due to a very large meteor impact
      >because of the evidence of crushing pressures and explosions. But this view
      >lost favour as a much better understanding of impact sites developed in the
      >late 20th century. In the case of Köfels there is no crater, so to modern
      >eyes it does not look as an impact site should look. However, the evidence
      >that puzzled the earlier researchers remains unexplained by the view that it
      >is just another landslide...."
      >
      >"...The full translation of the tablet together with the analysis supporting
      >these conclusions can be found in the book, A Sumerian Observation of the
      >Kofels' Impact Event published by Alcin Academics, ISBN 1904623646, priced
      >at £12.99."
      >
      >Complete press release at
      >
      ><http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html>http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2008/212017945233.html
      >
      >Clark Whelton
      >New York

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic