6938Re: Qumran inkwells and other facts

  • kessler_paul
    Jan 2, 2008
      I'm a bit surprised that in your list of "blinkered scholars" you
      didn't include one who thinks Essenes lived in Qumran, another who
      thinks Sadducees lived there, another who thinks Essenes lived not
      in, but around the site; one who thinks sectarians wrote some of the
      scrolls there, another who thinks they wrote most of the scrolls
      there, and another who thinks they wrote all of the scrolls there;
      one who thinks the site was inhabited by celibate Essenes as per
      Pliny, another who thinks the Essenes who lived there married despite
      Pliny; one who thinks the word "Damascus" in one of the scrolls
      refers to Qumran, another who disagrees with that; one who thinks the
      Essenes took over a military fortress and another who thinks Qumran
      could never have been a military fortress because, according to her
      but not others, "poor" dishes were found there.

      Paul Kessler (New York, NY)

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "B.E.Colless" <briancolless@...> wrote:

      > Let me put it this way. One blinkered scholar finds evidence of
      > pottery-manufacture, another senses perfume-making, another detects
      farming,
      > another notices military activity [remember the war scroll?] on the
      Qumran
      > site, and each thinks they have discovered the full truth about the
      place.

      > Have you heard the one about the blind sages who examined the
      various parts
      > of an elephant (tail, trunk, ear, leg. etc) and each thought he had
      > comprehended the essence of the animal?
      >
      > Kia ora! (Maaori for "Get a life")
      >
      > Brian Colless
      > Massey University, New Zealand
      >
      > http://cryptcracker.blogspot.com
      > http://collesseum.googlepages.com
      >
      > > From: goranson@...
      > > Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:22:32 -0500
      > > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [ANE-2] Qumran inkwells and other facts
      > >
      > > It is not true (based on available reports) that more inkwells
      were found at
      > > Shuafat than Qumran. I am a slow typist. Need I retype information
      > > every time a
      > > false claim is made? This list does have an archives with details
      and
      > > bibliography on inkwells among other things. And the Shuafat,
      mold-made
      > > inkwells may be Roman rather than Jewish (at least, Yael Olnick
      has suggested
      > > or raised the question of this distinction of types), and they
      are reportedly
      > > post second temple period. If we say for conversation sake, that
      Qumran is one
      > > of the two most inkwell-rich sites in a wide area and a long
      time, these are
      > > still scribal tools. There is no reason to expect writing on
      skin, exposed to
      > > elements, fire, and water to survive; such writing surfaces
      survived in caves,
      > > some enterable only through the Khirbeh. There was writing in
      Qumran on
      > > pottery
      > > and stone (published in Humbert and Gunneweg). Qumran is still
      where Pliny's
      > > second temple period source (and probably Dio [see Dead Sea
      Discoveries
      > > forthcoming] and Solinus) said Essenes lived. Many of the scrolls
      (S, MMT,
      > > pesharim etc.) are Essene. Some wish not to accept such facts.
      And there is
      > > more information available to historians on Essenes of Qumran and
      elsewhere.

      > > Stephen Goranson
      > > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      > > "Jannaeus, His Brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene"
      > > Lincoln: "we cannot escape history"

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic