6486RE: [ANE-2] Query: the name of King Rim-Sin of Larsa

  • Robert M Whiting
    Nov 4, 2007
      On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, victor wrote:

      > I take no issue with you on these matters. I had no intention of being
      > thorough. There is, of course a question about the second possibility
      > (raised by the original poster of the question), and that is would the vowel
      > /i/ be appropriate if the rhm etymology is the appropriate one.

      I wasn't trying to imply that I found you remiss in not mentioning these
      things; I was just using your message as a starting point because it
      already contained a lot that did not have to be restated.

      For the other point, there is no way to tell from the cuneiform
      orthography {ri-im} whether the intended vowel is /i/ or /e/. The answer
      is that the vowel /i/ would be inappropriate for the root RH.M but since
      there are no separate cuneiform signs for {re} and {em} the writing is not
      diagnostic. Only a writing {ri-i-im} or {re-e-em} would be conclusive
      and, to my knowledge, these do not occur. Otherwise, the decision to
      transliterate {ri-im} or {re-em} can only be based on one's choice of the
      etymology. If one believes in 1 or 3 one should transcribe Rim-Sin; if
      one chooses 2, Rem-Sin. Again, you pays your money and you takes your
      choice.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic