      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Robert M Whiting
      Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 3:09 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com; ANE-2@yahoogroups.com; ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Query: the name of King Rim-Sin of Larsa

      On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, victor wrote:

      > What has to be done now is compare the name with both etymological
      > possibilities with other names of the period and decide which is more
      > probable.

      Actually, there are three etymological possibilities, not two:

      1. ri:mu "wild bull, aurochs"; root apparently R'M; apparently a primary
      noun.

      2. rêmu "to be merciful, compassionate"; root RH.M (this is cognate with
      Arabic and Hebrew).

      3. ria:mu "to present"; root presumaby RYM.

      > If I remember correctly, Von Soden derives the Biblical name Miriam for
      > the r’m meaning gift, but that shouldn’t prejudice our interpretation of
      > Rim-Sin, although equations with Sin-iddinam and Iddin-Sin might tip the
      > balances in favour of Gift of Sin.

      You could also throw in Qi$ti-Sin, Iqi$-Sin and Sin-iqi$am.

      > On the other hand we have Amar-Sin or Bur-Sin which would point towards
      > the other etymology, calf of Sin.

      The association of ri:mu with Sin comes through the horns of the bull and
      the horns of the crescent moon. The Hebrew cognate of ri:mu, re'em, is
      the word that is translated "unicorn" in Deut 33:17, probably based on the
      Septuagint translation of monokero:tos, but because we now know that the
      verse isn't talking about unicorns it should be understood as "your horns
      are like the horns of the wild bull".

      For 2, the most common form in names is Re:manni-DN "Have mercy on me, O,
      DN", although a shorter form Re:m-DN "Be merciful, O, DN" is not excluded.

      For 3, again the most common form is the feminine: Ri:mut-DN "Gift of DN",
      but again the masculine ri:m is not impossible.

      > Could the name be a double entendre?

      Or a triple entendre? Actually it's more like a three-card monte; you
      pays your money and you takes your choice.

      Personally, I have always favored 1 because of a factor not mentioned,
      namely, whether the attribute fits the deity of the theophoric element
      well. For 2 I would expect Re:manni-Sin rather than Re:m-Sin and for 3 I
      would expect Ri:mut-Sin rather than Ri:m-Sin. Your mileage may vary.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@... <mailto:whiting%40cc.helsinki.fi> .fi