      From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:34:43 PM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Tel Zayit in the news

      On 10/29/07, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      > From the article:
      >
      > "One reason for the buzz was that the stone suggests the earliest Hebrew
      > Scriptures could have been written down in that era -- hundreds of years
      > earlier than many scholars had believed.
      >
      > Are the "many scholars" unaware that literary texts were being recorded
      > centuries earlier than the Tell Zayit abecedary?

      I think part of the issue is that (as I understand it), the main
      catalyst for the
      current debate over the historicity of the Solomonic Empire, was a book by
      Jamieson-Drake, "Scribes and Schools in Monarchic Judah: A Socio-
      Archaeological Approach." There, he argued that scribal schools could
      not have existed prior to the 8th century BCE in Judah, because Judah
      lacked the resources normally associated with states that have scribal
      schools. Prior to his work, the Solomonic period was relatively a consensus
      among scholars. His work may not have (at least in retrospect) destroyed
      that consensus, but it definitely made it an issue of discussion. The
      abecedary is one more evidence of scribal schools that one can place on
      the balance. That's what it means "could have been written down in that
      era -- hundreds of years earlier than many scholars had believed." It's
      not that literature was not written beforehand, or letters sent from Jerusalem
      to Egypt, but many scholars believed that in Iron Age I and IIA there were no
      scribal schools. It is somewhat naive (of course) to think that now that there
      is more and more evidence for scribal schools in this period, we can
      immediately assume the historicity of the Davidic/Solomonic state.

      This topic is also being discussed at the biblical-studies list, but you need
      to be a member to view the posts.