6244Re: [biblical-studies] Eric Cline and the Boston Globe

  • Joe Zias
    Sep 30, 2007
      This article is not only 'worth a read' but is a must, for all of us in the profession as it alerts us to the dangers of either not getting involved or getting involved with the 'wrong crowd', esp. the textual 'wanna be archaeologists' folks and the dilettante film makers posing as archaeologists, not to mention some of the stuff out there in the popular journals. I remember the crisis in anthro/arch with the Eric Von Daniken crowd, a person by the way who never went to the univ. whose real profession was bar tender, did 'time for check kiting, we felt that this was so outrageous that no one would believe it and never fought it, in the end, by our silence, we lost, same with the Carlos Castaneda/ Don Juan scam. The latter never existed, and while few complained he got away with it for years and like some of the current stuff out there, by textual scholars posing as archaeologists, set back anthro. for years. In my opinion, not only do we have to be more vocal but must
      bring to public attention those in the profession who for fame and fortune, sold out to the 'highest bidder'. This is why the article by Eric Cline is so important at a time when it seems that no one is listening in the 'ivory tower. Sometime ago I went to a dept head here in Israel with information, (academic fraud) that would automatically have brought dismissal in the US or EU. I showed him the evidence and he couldn't have cared less. Seems that personal careers are more important than the profession itself. It's time that we all take a stand against these abuses as it can get worse. For starters I have kept a dossier for quite a number of years on these get rich schemes, ark hunters, blood of Jesus, Holy Ark, etc which I have made freely available for investigative journalists and other interested parties. What is interesting, particularly with the Noah's ark crowd is that after they have been shown to be fraudulent, they disappear for a few years until things
      'die down' and then resurface again. same people, same scam. Other schemes are so profitable that when their originators pass away, family members and friends, take up the cause, a highly profitable cottage industry, particularly in the US it would seem. The Garden Tomb excavations are a prime example. The public deserves better.

      Joe Zias

      Jim West <jwest@...> wrote: Eric has written an essay for the Globe titled "Raiders of the faux
      ark." It's well worth a read.

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/30/raiders_of_the_faux_ark/

      Jim

      (PS- not only did it pop up on google news alert but Joseph Lauer also
      mentions it)

      --
      Jim West, ThD

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com