6096Re: What happened at the first of ELOHIM creating the skies and the land?

  • Samuel Lerner
    Sep 17, 2007
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
      wrote:

      > Samuel Lerner wrote:
      >

      > > > On the contrary,
      > > >historic
      > > >Hebrew is unquestionably and uniformly monotheistic
      > >
      > > Historical, OK, but how about beyond that, the original belief
      > > BEFORE Hebrew got written?
      > >

      > Let me see if I understand what you are trying to get at.
      >
      > Are you saying that the meaning that elohim bears in Gen 1.1 has
      nothing
      > to do with what the author of Gen 1:1 understood and intended it to
      > mean, but is to be gleaned from some alleged earlier, "original"
      meaning
      > which was no longer current when the author of Gen 1:1 wrote and of
      > which the author was probably unaware?
      >
      > If so, might I suggest that you read up a bit on what is called the
      > "etymological fallacy".

      Thank you for the suggestion, but that is not what I was trying
      to say. Rather wondering whether it could be possible that an
      original polytheistic word in spoken Hebrew before it was written
      was changed or adapted to a monotheistic meaning later on when
      Gen. was written down, in order to try to deflect and blurr such
      a polytheistic early belief.

      .... Samuel Lerner
    • Show all 76 messages in this topic