6094Re: Labayu/Saul territory map?

  • Scott Needham
    Sep 17, 2007
      Folk:

      As to my specific request, thanks to Goranson for that tip. Although
      it doesn't look like the one I see in my mind's eye--and all I really
      want is to find that durn article-- it will work for my purposes if
      nothing else comes up. I note that it is adapted from Ahlstrom's _A
      History of Ancient Palestine_, map 13. (Leading into the broader
      issues raised by Mssrs. Hall and Cowie, Ahlstrom's discussion of the
      extent of Saul's kingdom, and possible strategic goals appears at pp.
      429-54.)

      Regarding that broader discussion, in response to Hall and
      Cowie, I will take no position as to whether "it [was] guesswork to
      make a map showing Labayu controlled the Jezreel Valley and the east
      bank of the Jordan River?" What I do have is a recollection of this
      debate, not source in Rohl, that usually involves consideration of
      the purposes of the
      Shishak campaign in light of 1 Kings 14:25-28, 2 Chronicles 12: 1-12,
      the Karnak inscription and the archaeology of the areas in the Karnak
      list. Specifically there are three "core" articles that I've
      uncovered while searching for the map article: "The Campaign of
      Shoshenq I to Palestine - A Guide to the 10th Century Polity,"
      Finkelstein, Israel, ZDPV 118/2: 109-135 (2002) "Shechem of the
      Amarna Period and the Rise of the Northern Kingdom of Israel"
      Finkelstein, Israel and Nadav Na'aman, IEJ 55/2: 172-93 (2005) and
      "The Last Labayu: King Saul and the Expansion of the First North
      Israelite Territorial Entity" Finkelstein, Israel, in FS-Na'aman:
      171-87 (2006).

      I don't want to recapitulate the detailed argument that emerges from
      these articles--and thereby rob those interested of some interesting
      reading--but the basic thrust is that the geopolitical layout of the
      Benjamite saddle and areas north and west really changed very little
      between the time of Labayu and that of Saul (whatever datings are
      used), and that the strategic goals of any polity seeking hegemony
      from
      the north would be very similar.

      Finkelstein begins suggestively: "[W]hat was it that attracted the
      attention of [Shoshenq] to this relatively remote area [the hill
      countrynorth of Jerusalem] that had no real geopolitical importance?
      The only resonable answer is that the area around Gibeon was the hub
      of an emerging territorio-political formation, which endangered the
      Egyptian interests in Palestine." ZDPV 118 at 123. He develops this
      suggestion to conclude: "A strong North Israelite entity developed to
      the north of Jerusalem parallel to the reign of the early Davidides
      in Jerusalem and the south. The hub of this northern entity was
      located around Gibeon, which was probably the focus of power and seat
      of the rulers. It is noteworthy that Gibeon may ahve also been the
      capital of Saul. The North Israelite polity extended over the
      Benjamite and Ephraimite hill country, and possibly further north. 2
      Kings 2,9, which describes the territory of Ishbaal, that is, the
      territories which were ruled by Saul, has generally been treated as a
      dependable source." Id. at 128 (citations omitted).

      (Sheesh, the implications !! See why I originally stated that I
      didn't want to imply any historical assumptions?)

      Finkelstein and Na'aman (2005) treats similarities of the Labayu-era
      situation and the rise of the Omride kingdom. I don't think it even
      mentions Saul. Finkelstein (2006) is a detailed treatment and
      expansion of the Labayu-Saul-Shoshenq themes. These ideas really are
      great fun, and I reccomend the inquiry. Now, anyone able to point to
      the map I'm after?? ;-)

      Regards and Happy Trails,

      Scott Needham,
      Boulder, Colorado, USA