6002Re: [ANE-2] Re: Greek Mystery Religions

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Sep 5, 2007
      A more up-to-date work on that topic is T.N.D. Mettinger's _The
      Riddle of Resurrection: "Dying and Rising Gods" in the Ancient Near

      I do believe that there were some deities who did not merely
      travel to and from the underworld (such as Inana/Ishtar, although she
      did seem pretty dead there for a bit), but some who were in fact
      understood to have died and "gotten better" (in Monty Pythonesque
      fashion). One example that springs to mind is Ugaritic Baal in his
      confrontation with Mot (and, one could argue, Mot in his confrontation
      with Anat). Several other examples are provided by Mettinger.

      -Stephanie Budin

      Quoting "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>:

      > The larger question is whether there were **any** gods who were
      > thought by the
      > ancients to have died and to have been "resurrected".
      > The short answer, relying on the article on "Dying and Rising Gods" by J.Z.
      > Smith in Eliade's _Encyclopedia of Religion_ , is that there were no such
      > beasties Indeed, the whole category of "dying and rising gods" and
      > the assertion
      > that there were such entities in the ancient world is a modern scholarly
      > construct.
      > Further evidence in support of Smith's claims can be found in PAULINE BAPTISM
      > AND THE PAGAN MYSTERIES by Gunter Wagner.
      > You might also want to have a look at the EoR's article on "Mystery
      > Religions"
      > Jeffrey
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)