      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Heleanor Feltham
      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 4:19 AM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Umayyad era mosaic discovery

      Khirbat-al Mafjar also has a pair of (now beheaded) statues of the
      caliph standing on the back of a lion, dating to 724-43 ad and looking
      quite a lot like the Carchemish lion-riding gods. Actually with a brief
      burst of iconoclasm at much the same time as the Byzantine outburst,
      some form of figural art has been a constant in the Islamic world
      especially for illuminations, but also in all of the decorative arts -
      textiles and carpets, ceramics, ivories, metalwork - following the
      styles of the Persian and Byzantine empires, then adding a Chinese
      element during the Ilkhanid period. Religious architecture and
      illuminated Korans are about the only exceptions, and even then one must
      include the big cats and phoenixes of the Shir Dor in Samarkand.

      Heleanor Feltham