      From: Stern, Richard H.
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:49 AM
      Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Depopulation of Northern Israel

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Daniel Grolin
      Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:44 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ANE-2] Depopulation of Northern Israel

      Dear ANE-2-listers,

      I was wondering if know if there is any consensus emerging on the issue
      of the historicity of the mass deportation of the entire Israelite
      population of the Northern Kingdom under Shalmaneser V?

      - - - - - - - - -

      It seems to me that the question has been raised whether any mass
      deportation occurred or whether only the elite class and craftsmen were
      deported, leaving a vast majority of inhabitants in place ...or
      certainly no deportation of the entire population.

      On the other hand, some evidence seems to support a real depopulation of
      western Judah (coupled with massive destruction, such as Lachish) in the
      wake of Hezekiah's subsequent rebelliousness. That may suggest the
      possibility that this kind of retaliation was Assyrian policy when they
      were antagonized.

      Best regards.

      Richard H. Stern
      rstern@... rstern@...