5074Re: [ANE-2] Crucifixion

  • nick smith
    May 12, 2007
      The two pics shown dipict the Assyrian king Ansasurpal (appologies for the spelling) flaying POWs after campaining in northen Mesopotamia.The POWs are soldiers being flayed in front of their children.I'll try find a clearer reference forb the image and post,but these images also have nothing to do with crucifixion.

      Hope this helps,

      Nick Smith

      Antonio Lombatti <antonio.lombatti@...> wrote:
      Trudy,

      I have no expertise in ancient Art History, therefore I posted the
      image so that some of could judge it. Probably, it has nothing to do
      with crucifixion, as you suggested; however, I think that she (I mean
      the hung woman) should not be dancing with her wrists tied and
      completely naked.

      The picture is labelled and dated as I wrote in my previous post.
      However, I have lots of doubts about it. I've seen it in an Italian
      paper on death penalties in Antiquity and as for the above image it
      says it comes from M. Torelli _Etruria. Guida Archeologica_. Roma:
      Laterza, 1993.

      There are two more interesting photos (even if they don't refer to
      women crucifixion):

      http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6908/cruxpl5.jpg

      1. (Above) Bas-relief of the Palace of Sennacherib at Niniveh
      depicting the taking of Lachish (701/689-688); it showa two men
      "crucified" on boards and flayed.
      2. (Below) Assyrian crucifixion by means of nails and rings

      Comments and suggestions are all welcome, since I'm finishing a paper
      on crucifixion.

      Antonio Lombatti