      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Antonio Lombatti
      Sent: Wed 5/9/2007 12:12 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Crucifixion

      I've found an interesting drawing now kept in the Prenestina National
      Archaeological Museum. Even if I'm a bit doubtful about its
      interpretation, the description says: Etruscan wealthy woman
      crucified by the Romans (Vth century B.C.).

      I think it should refer to "arbor infelix", where a guilty person was
      hung with ropes ("patibulum" or "furca"). The "crux" seems to have
      been introduced as death penalty from III century B.C. and the thesis
      that Romans introduced crucifixion from Carthaginians was supported
      by Tertullian (_Ad Nationes_ 1,18): "Crucis vero novitam numerosae
      abstrusae regulus vester libenter dedicavit" (J. Vergote, _Les
      principaux modes de supplices chez les anciens_, in "Bulletin de
      l'Institut historique belge de Rome", 20 [1939], p. 141 ff.).

      However, this might be the only representation of a hung (crucified?)
      woman that I'm aware of.

      I've uploaded the scanned photo for the group at

      http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7218/womancrucxs5.jpg <http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7218/womancrucxs5.jpg>

      Antonio Lombatti

      P.S.: download it if you want, because I'll remove the file in a
      couple of days. (:-)