      From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Robert Griffin
      Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 9:05 PM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ANE-2] d Asshur <-sharruu (to begin)?

      I am corresponding with some Assyrians, who hold that the name of the
      god Asshur means 'creator' in ancient Assyrian. I am skeptical
      regarding this, but haven't really worked with any Akkadian text for
      30 years, so I'm very much out of date.

      John Halloran, the webmaster of www.sumerian.org, has suggested "well
      watered region", referring to the territory of Assyria, based on A
      USAR (ki) used in the law code of Hammurabi. Since (d) Asshur is
      sometimes "spelled" the same way, it seems to me that the god's name
      is derived from that of the territory.

      Is there any input any of the scholars in this list can give me?

      Bob Griffin
      BA in Religion from Pepperdine University
      (Sumerian and Babylonian studied at Fuller Seminary under Dr. Sanford
      North Hollywood, CA