      From: Andrew Fincke <finckean@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:04:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Re: Richard Steiner and the London Medical Papyrus

      Sorry, Ariel,
      I guess I meant "hieratic" instead of "Demotic". I got confused when Steiner - in the intro to his lengthy speech in Hebrew - gave an account of his work with an "Aramaic text written on a long papyrus in Demotic script, 4 lines of which which were published in 1944 by a team of researchers from the University of Chicago" If half of what he said in the speech is correct, he's gone a lot farther than he was in 1992 with JNES 51/3, 191-200 "Northwest Semitic Incantations etc.",which is pretty much groping in the dark.
      Andrew Fincke

      "Ariel L. Szczupak" <ane.als@gmail. com> wrote: At 05:54 PM 1/30/2007,
      Demotic denotes a language/script that appears in the middle of the
      1st mbc. If there are Demotic inscriptions in 5th dynasty pyramids
      they are graffiti :)