3734Re: [ANE-2] Re: Richard Steiner and the London Medical Papyrus

  • Ariel L. Szczupak
    Jan 29, 2007
      At 10:29 PM 1/29/2007, Andrew Fincke wrote:

      >Let's compare Steiner with Mercer and Faulkner at Utterance 232, the
      >first one of Steiner's.

      No, let's not. Sorry. Two reasons.

      In order to verify Steiner's work at the specific sign level, you
      need the source he used. He says he used mostly Allen, "The Ancient
      Egyptian Pyramid Texts", 2005. And he says that in some cases he
      preferred other translations, but these cases are not specified
      explicitly in the lecture. For those cases you'd need a "regular"
      paper with bibliographical references and footnotes explaining why
      Steiner chose a specific translation over Allen's recent one.

      The second reason is personal. I have basic knowledge in Egyptian but
      I haven't worked on Egyptian texts in many years, I'm not up to date
      on recent developments (which are not trivial) and I don't have the
      necessary reference books on Egyptian. I'm not in a position to
      criticize Egyptian translation choices.

      >At 232 Steiner's Demotic translation ...

      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic