3023Re: [ANE-2] weavers

  • Richard S. Ellis
    Dec 6, 2006
      Lampros F. Kallenos wrote:
      > > The shaft of his spear was like a weaver’s beam
      > > ... ...
      > > The implication of this is that a weaver's beam was
      > > significantly larger and heavier than the normal spear shaft.
      > > Such a "weaver's beam" would be a significant implement for
      > > any average woman to handle.
      > >
      > > gfsomsel
      >

      > The way to handle a spear is different from the way to handle a
      > weaver's beam.
      >
      > You handle a spear by putting your fingers around it, and then
      > you also have to lift and throw it. But a weaver's beam is about
      > 15-20 centimeters (six inches) long, and only has to be thrown or
      > pushed among the threads to the other side of the weaving
      > installation.

      What you are thinking about is a shuttle, which I don't think anyone (in
      English) would refer to as a beam. If "beam" is a good translation, it
      is more likely to refer either to one of the two beams of a ground loom
      or of an upright loom, or to the warp beam of a warp-weighted loom. In
      any case the beam would not be moved while the loom was in use. For all
      this stuff you might refer to:

      Barber, Elizabeth J. W. 1990. Prehistoric Textiles: The Development of
      Cloth in the Neolithic and Bronze Ages with Special Reference to the
      Aegean. Princeton: Princeton University Press.

      Dick Ellis
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic