      From: victor avigdor hurowitz<mailto:victor@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 3:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] A new(?) beginning

      Woe Ariel, Ariel!
      That biblical allusion now out of my system (Is 29:1), and
      in all due respect, I think that starting ANE-2 with a discussion of the
      "Historicity controversy" would be a very bad choice. Why don't we give
      the Bible a rest? We should start off
      by distancing ourselves from the problems which plagued the previous
      list. How about something like "monotheistic tendencies in Ancient Near
      Eastern religions outside of Israel"; Or "Aramization in the Ancient Near
      East"; or "imperialism and religion"; or "languages of communication" in
      the ancient near east, or "historicity of royal inscriptions" (if you
      insist on historicity); or tools for ancient near eastern studies in a
      cyberage, or the reading of such and such a cuneiform sign. I won't start
      off any of these discussions,
      but will certainly follow them with greater interest than I would another
      round in the biblical historicity controversary.
      Victor

      Prof. Victor Avigdor Hurowitz
      Dept. of Bible, Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies
      Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
      Beer-Sheva, Israel

      SPONSORED LINKS Near<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Near&w1=Near&w2=Ancient&w3=University+of+chicago&c=3&s=50&.sig=aVz6i_8jEdKbBX8H7JNf2A> Ancient<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ancient&w1=Near&w2=Ancient&w3=University+of+chicago&c=3&s=50&.sig=i__45E9H9auv49UTibKO4g> University of chicago<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=University+of+chicago&w1=Near&w2=Ancient&w3=University+of+chicago&c=3&s=50&.sig=YnBSDXrWnRu6PQo-N0zxtg>