2397The abagadary vagary

  • B.E.Colless
    Aug 31, 2006

      Thanks to Jim for raising the question of "abagadary", and to Victor for
      answering it correctly.

      Victor's use of "elementary" is appropriate, as "element" is supposed to
      come from LMN (the sequence that starts the second half of the
      Phoenician/Hebrew alphabet).

      Yes, it is my own neologism. We have previously discussed Peter Daniels's
      "abjad" for "alphabet" (I said I would prefer to say "ab(a)gad"). And
      "abagadary" is made acrophonic-ly from 'Alp Bayt Gaml Dalt.

      I have to say that none of the dictionaries (Oxford, Collins, NZ) in my home
      have "abecediary" or "abecedary" (a word I first encountered in Demsky's
      study of the Izbet Sartah Ostracon, as "A Proto-Canaanite abecedary", Tel
      Aviv 4, 1977,14-27, and I used it in the title of my first paper on the
      proto-alphabet, published in Abr-Nahrain 26, 1988 without using that word,
      which had puzzled people at the language-and-literature conference).

      It is reasonable to use "abecedary" to apply to a copy of the Hebrew and
      even the Greek alphabet (though it really belongs to the Roman alphabet),
      because G (boomerang) produced Roman C.

      So, "abagadary" is another *vagary* of mine (a "silly idea"), but I like it
      because it is pretty 'fonetic', unlike <eibiisiid(iy)ariy>). All the a's in
      abagadary are sounded the same (unlike "vagary" = veigeriy).

      OK, even when I myself say the word, it will probably come out as

      Brian Colless PhD ThD
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic