2152Dating Chinese writing Re: [ANE-2] Cherubim Origins

  • funhistory
    Aug 12, 2006
      > No, and no.
      > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

      > the earliest Chinese script shows a stage that
      > already reflects what is likely to be several
      > centuries of development of which we have no record.
      > Bob Whiting

      Bob's succinct statement reinforces the point I made last week, which
      Peter disagreed with & apparently misunderstood; namely, it _IS
      POSSIBLE_ that the writing system in Mesopotamia was transmitted to
      China, if for no other reason the simple fact that _WE HAVE NO
      RECORD_ of how the earliest Chinese script came into being. As with
      the es-Skhul shells, _WE HAVE NO RECORD_ of where those dozen-or-so
      buried individuals came from or where their descendants went.
      (That's my response to Peter's question, "What is the 'same
      explanation'?")

      Furthermore, Bob's "centuries of development" represent a
      knowledgeable speculation, but nonetheless an assumption. A span of
      20 centuries from the original Mesopotamian connection, though more
      than Bob would probably allow, is not absurd if one's mind is open to
      writing on Bob's "perishable materials" (just as applicable to
      Chinese as Proto-Elamite & Proto-Indic). 20 missing centuries of
      assumed cultural continuity/development are a drop-in-the-bucket
      es-Skhul! (For the record, I disagree with these proposed dates, but
      that speculation is out-of-bounds for discussion here on ANE-2.)
      Which requires more development, the drilling of holes through
      seashells, or the establishment of a pictographic communication
      system?

      Peter also asked:

      > What's the similarity between using naturally
      > occurring pretty things as ornament, and writing?

      Both are visual symbols that convey meaning. The same way jewelry &
      fancy clothes convey meaning today. T-shirts tell a different story
      than tuxedos.

      George Michael Grena, II
      Redondo Beach, CA
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic