      From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2006 11:18:08 AM
      Subject: The Chimera of Cultural Neutrality (was Re: Dating Chinese writing Re: [ANE-2] Cherubim Origins)

      I don't know why people get so exercised with the chimera of cultural neutrality. I suppose that it's an aspect of "political correctness." If I say something happened 200 B.C. and my Jewish friend says something happened 200 B.C.E. we both know what is meant. We operate from different presuppositions which causes me to express the date in terms of the (erroneously determined) birth of Christ. My Jewish friend doesn't center his life around Christ and therefore refers to it as the "Common Era." We nevertheless communicate -- he expressing his presuppositions and I mine. If he really wanted to express his viewpoint he might rather enter the year today as 5766. My Moslem friend, however, has a different view since their calendar is based on the date of the Hegira. Thus even expressing the date as 0200 rather than 200 B.C. or 200 B.C.E. is not culturally neutral. I see no reason for us to get "bent out of shape" by a simple matter of dating when what is intended is
      quite clear and each can understand it in his own manner.

      george
      gfsomsel