1979(and another delite from Fischer) Re: [ANE-2] "Tablets of Shuruppak"

    Jul 13, 2006
      --- "Ariel L. Szczupak" <ane.als@...> wrote:
      > At 00:44 12/07/2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      > >But whence the "meme" (if you will) "Tablets of Shuruppak" as a corpus
      > >that contains precious information about pre-biblical peoples and as an
      > >auhtoritative source of information on the third millennium?
      >
      > The tablets of Farah are of course important scientifically, but the
      > only contexts in which I found them to have an importance that could
      > imply attributes like "precious" and "authoritative" are in
      > discussions concerning non/pseudo scientific narratives (e.g.
      > freemasonry, Mormonism, etc).
      >
      > The caveat is that it's my personal experience, not a comprehensive
      > survey.

      This is exactly what I'm wondering about. The handful of google hits
      for "tablets of shuruppak" turn up exactly that range of contexts,
      suggesting that the phrase appeared, maybe just once, in some
      authoritative (or at least widely popular) source. (Does anyone have
      vol. 1 of the Durants' history of civilization?)

      Meanwhile, Mr. Fischer also suggests, in both the Mesopotamia and the
      Egypt sections, that (aside from the hollow reeds suggested by M. Civil
      long ago) a potential magnifying device for reading tiny cuneiform or
      hieroglyphic signs was a "transparent vessel filled with water."
      Somehow I don't recall seeing any sort of "transparent" vessels at
      either the OI or the Met museums ...

      A few pages further on, he notes that "all the Jews" were exiled to
      Babylon ...