1971Re: Is Kramer responsible? Re: [ANE-2] "Tablets of Shuruppak"

  • Robert Whiting
    Jul 12, 2006
      On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

      > --- Robert Whiting <whiting@...> wrote:
      > > If you are looking for a pathway for the importance of early Sumerian
      > > texts for practically everything into the tertiary literature, I would
      > > look at Sam Kramer's early stuff. History begins at Sumer and as far
      > > as readable Sumerian is concerned, it pretty much begins with the Fara
      > > Texts.
      >
      > That could be it -- in *The Sumerians*, he notes that he was the
      > epigrapher for the 1930s campaign(s) that found more of the same sort
      > of tablet; he refers to the "Instructions of Shuruppak," explaing why
      > in one place it looks like Fischer thinks Sh. is a person rather than a
      > place; and the chapter on Sumerian scribes begins by mentioning lots of
      > school texts from there.

      I was going to ask if there was any possibility that Fischer has conflated
      the "Instructions of Shuruppak (person)" with "Tablets of Shuruppak
      (place)." From what you say he does not have a particularly firm grasp on
      the cultural milieu, and if one doesn't know Shuruppak from shredded
      wheat, one Shuruppak looks pretty much like another.

      > But the key phrase "Tablets of Shuruppak" doesn't appear: can anyone
      > check in *History Begins at Sumer: nn Firsts*, where the number nn
      > increased with each edition, and so did the price? and wasn't that
      > volume earlier than *The Sumerians*?

      Yes, the sequence is:

      From the Tablets of Sumer, Indian Hills CO 1956
      History Begins at Sumer, New York 1959
      The Sumerians, Chicago 1963

      And "Tablets of Sumer" allows a painless segue into "Tablets of
      Shuruppak."

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic