1970Is Kramer responsible? Re: [ANE-2] "Tablets of Shuruppak"

    Jul 12, 2006
      --- Robert Whiting <whiting@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      >
      > > But whence the "meme" (if you will) "Tablets of Shuruppak" as a corpus
      > > that contains precious information about pre-biblical peoples and as an
      > > auhtoritative source of information on the third millennium?
      > I imagine that any general history would describe them this way since that
      > is what they do and are. If memory serves me correctly, the earliest
      > occurrence of MAR.TU is in a Fara text. But you are correct that
      > Assyriologists don't usually refer to them as "tablets of Shurrupak" but
      > generally as "Fara Texts". But the title of Jestin's work, "Tablettes
      > sumériennes de Shuruppak" [spelled with shin in the original], provides a
      > basis for referring to them as "tablets of Shuruppak." Earlier than
      > Jestin, "see" A. Deimel, Die Inschriften von Fara, Leipzig, 1922-24, which
      > probably accounts for Assyriological usage being "Fara texts" (apart from
      > the fact that it also saves a lot of typesetting and ink).
      > These tablets certainly provide authoritative information about third
      > millennium Mesopotamia.
      >
      > If you are looking for a pathway for the importance of early Sumerian
      > texts for practically everything into the tertiary literature, I at
      > Sam Kramer's early stuff. History begins at Sumer and as far as readable
      > Sumerian is concerned, it pretty much begins with the Fara Texts.

      That could be it -- in *The Sumerians*, he notes that he was the
      epigrapher for the 1930s campaign(s) that found more of the same sort
      of tablet; he refers to the "Instructions of Shuruppak," explaing why
      in one place it looks like Fischer thinks Sh. is a person rather than a
      place; and the chapter on Sumerian scribes begins by mentioning lots of
      school texts from there.

      But the key phrase "Tablets of Shuruppak" doesn't appear: can anyone
      check in *History Begins at Sumer: nn Firsts*, where the number nn
      increased with each edition, and so did the price? and wasn't that
      volume earlier than *The Sumerians*?