1969Re: [ANE-2] "Tablets of Shuruppak"

    Jul 12 3:38 AM
      --- "William D. Tallman" <wdtallman@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 03:44:23PM -0700, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      > >

      > > --- "William D. Tallman" <wdtallman@...> wrote:
      > <snip>
      >
      > > But whence the "meme" (if you will) "Tablets of Shuruppak" as a corpus
      > > that contains precious information about pre-biblical peoples and as an
      > > auhtoritative source of information on the third millennium?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
      >
      > Perhaps Jestin's work might shed some light on this? Given a
      > publication date of 1937, some amount of speculation could have become
      > self-replicating in the interim. And your use of the term
      > "pre-biblical", if a part of the 'meme', probably gives the whole thing
      > away: Bible oriented scholarship, probably considered more legitimate
      > then than now, could well have provided the necessary platform of
      > assumptions and substitution of plausibility for certainty required for
      > such a meme to arise.
      >
      > Guess one is constrained to wait until Steible and Yildiz have a
      > product.
      >
      > Can you acquire or gain access to Jestin's work?

      I could have when I had access to an Assyriological library. There
      isn't one in New York -- NYU doesn't even have a complete set of ZA.

      The point is that the phrase "Tablets of Shuruppak" has to be attached
      to the phenomenom. It just occurred to me to check Breasted, Ancient
      Times (1916; no mention), Albright (Stone Age to Christianity, 2nd ed.,
      talks about the importance of "Shuruppak texts"), and CAH 1/2 (chapters
      by Gadd and Mallowan refer to "Farah texts" and the importance of
      god-lists).

      Who else wrote ANE histories that earlier generations of biblical
      scholars might have consulted?