1927Re: SV: [ANE-2] Request for assistance with identification of journals

  • E Bruce Brooks
    Jun 30, 2006
      To: ANE-2
      On: Abbreviations
      From: Bruce

      Gary, to my mind quite naturally, had assumed that "C.A.G" was a journal
      reference. Then:

      GARY: I have finally determined that C. A. G. is not a journal reference as
      I had been assuming but actually refers to the 19th-century book Chaldean
      Account of Genesis by George Smith. My apologies for the mistake.

      BRUCE: This, I suggest, is the problem with the convention (which, as a
      foreigner, I note is widespread among Near Eastern professionals) of using
      acronyms BOTH for journals, which is standard in all fields as far as I
      know, and ALSO for books frequently referred to. In our practice (and as a
      specific recommendation for our journal, in Chinese and comparative ancient
      history), we recommend confining acronyms to journals (with at most an
      extension to series, as a sort of quasi-journal), and referring to
      frequently used single books by their author's surname alone; in this case,
      it would have been understood that "Smith" alone or with a page number
      referred to the George Smith work.

      Besides disasmbiguation, one reason for the distinction is that the list of
      books frequently referred to is liable to vary with the author's subject,
      and thus are likely to be temporary and ad hoc conventions, whereas the
      journals are there for all users (and there are standard lists of their
      acronyms).

      Respectfully suggested,

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks